In search of a resource for set building

Hi, im in the process of building complete generation sets, like 151, 252, ect… building the first two generations has proven to be pretty easy but after getting into the third one I’m starting to wish there was a place that would show when each pokemon made their first appearance in card form. Im building these sets in Japanese, so its going to be different then english cause of promos and set compositions and different time frames of using 1st edition stamps.

The question is: does anyone know where the first appearances of each pokemon in the TCG is?

1 Like

Its on Bulbapedia for each pokemon. The first appearance is called out

2 Likes

Ahh yes. Time to open like 120 tabs so i can see each one quickly

A search on Pokellector for the pokemon might help also.

The problem is Pokellector is just flat out missing most of the Japanese cards from the Gen 3 era and some of Gen 2 and 4. Bulbapedia might just be the best bet unless someone on here has the same collection going on and already did the work figuring stuff out.

2 Likes

Ah, good point. Didn’t consider Japanese cards. Shame on me!

For my illustrator lists, I can copy and paste bulbapedia’s lists to a text file, and then manipulate that, or whatever… IDK if that helps, because I haven’t seen how bulbapedia lists the pokemon. Perhaps you could also bookmark all open tabs, then export the bookmark list as a comma separated values file, and then you’d lave a list of URLs you could easily move through…?

If that made sense to me it might work. Im finding no problems with going through bulbapedia slowly but when it gets to pokemons who’s got different names for their first releases it gets confusing. Bulbapedia sorts by release time for each name, like rayquaza’s first release is rayquaza ex -i think- from rulers of heaven (ex dragon) but on the bulbapedia page being sorted by names it shows rayquaza ex way down the page, because it shows rayquaza non ex, then other types ect first

1 Like

I guess if anyones built a first appearance set and wants to upload or link photos it would be a cool resource

lol. Fair point. Could you include a link to the list you found? and I’ll see if I can find an easy workflow.