Important News about the greatest modern card ever, I'm so excited

This is just such wonderful news! I went, just by chance, to look up slowbro on bulbapedia… to check on a few modern releases I might be getting to fill in my slow section. And, well…

I’m overjoyed. I’m thrilled, I am ecstatic! Shinji Kanda has quickly risen to high levels of artistic caliber and ranking amongst us, and for good reason. It is artists like him that get me very interested in modern, who are just as good as any vintage. And the lad has only made a few cards up to this point, being very new to Pokemon’s rankings. And this?! He goes and gets himself commissioned to do my favorite Pokemon?!

BEHOLD! Behold this masterpiece! It’s so amazing!!! Ahhhhh!!!

That is all, I just needed to express my elation at seeing this. This most exciting new card I’ve seen in a long time! I needed to go beyond the art thread and make this significant moment in Pokemon’s history its own celebration.

Mega-slowbro GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

42 Likes

I want to link this thread as my answer to the question in the other thread “what is a true collector?” :grin:

12 Likes

I’m happy to see someone so happy about this! I’ve been loving Shinji Kanda too and hope they have a chance to illustrate many more cards.

2 Likes

Shinji Kanda is really one of the standout up-and-coming artists, and I’m glad he was able to bestow upon the world the true beauty of the majestic beast that is Slowbro!

1 Like

what? who cares it isn’t a $600 modern card and not even a full art, lol what a loser.

4 Likes

This is very wholesome :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I love Alt Arts, but I sort of wish people would appreciate all the other cards more often. There’s so many great looking cards out there still that are so underappreciated at times.

2 Likes

That is definitely some excellent slowbro art! I have really enjoyed Kanda’s artwork for cards so far.

1 Like

Kanda has stood out as one of the best new artist to do cards. Love his Giratina alt, but this Slowbro really spoke to me when the SV set list came out. I cant wait to see what Kanda can do as the years go by!

1 Like

Pokemon keeps on surprising us. Just when you think it can’t get any better, it gets better

1 Like

100%. My favourite card is a non-full art, non-alt art card.

1 Like

Best dollar I’ve ever spent in my life

17 Likes

Shroom trippin Slowbro >

1 Like

A) Love this post - such a recognisable feeling, that species/artist link to modern meaning there are still new suprises to find! And a beautiful addition to the already stellar Slow catalogue.

B) I must thank you making me check out this set… I wasn’t even aware of the Komiya Drowzee full art in the same set! So your find just provoked that exact same discovery emotion…

4 Likes

I picked it up today for a whopping 50 yen! Not bad for the greatest modern card.

1 Like

Oh… my… god. That is the greatest full art I’ve ever seen. Mac… you… you… don’t understand. That single Pokemon card contains the true specific full spectrum of my joy and sensibilities.

DARK CARNIVAL DROWZEE!!! It’s a masterpiece! I’m buying that thing right now! What is going on at this dear moment in time?!

Dude the concept I had for my Mr. Mime art for Brendan’s Mr. Mime card will now seem to be a copy of this card hahah!

edit: just bought one. My first ever full art here we come. NOW.

4 Likes

Komiya is my hero, my brother.

1 Like

I’m so glad I could return the favour… And that it could be your first ever full art card, truly an honour for Komiya to make that threshold!

I had no idea when posting it would be so specifically perfect for you, and that you’d be so in tune with your brother that you would have conceptualised it in advance!

1 Like