If you were given $1000, and you could only spend it on one card, what would you buy?

I was talking with a buddy about cards we still wanted to add to the collection and It got me thinking about some of the expensive cards I still hoped to get land one day.

So if you were given $1000 and you could only spend it on a single card, what would you get?

My choice would be a heavily played Gold Star Rayquaza (seems like you can still get poor condition version at this price).

IMG_1135

OR the Burned Tower Holo Japanese Promo. This is easily my favorite promo card I’ve ever laid eyes on. Really wish they had done a holo version in English, but we will see if I can get my hands on one of these someday.

18 Likes

Right now a PSA 10 1st Edition Japanese Dragon Frontiers Typhlosion.

But outside my collections, the Protection Cube XY-P promo as caught my eye as something interesting recently.

15 Likes

You can probably pick up a decent copy/graded shining gyarados (japanese for the awesome holo)

7 Likes

Ahh this card along with the blacksmith, both distributed during the Charizard Mega Battle event look so good in hand. Really great choice.

Cheers!

5 Likes

I would probably choose this hungry boy if someone gave me $1,000.

13 Likes

Wow, I’ve never seen that before. All these years later and I’m still seeing different cards for the first time.

8 Likes

Burned Tower is a very solid choice!

Maybe you could also consider some of the Battle Road prize cards which could be within ballpark of your price point at a lower grades

Bebe’s Search

Championship Arena

13 Likes

Im actually in a very similar situation, I have about 1200 in my PWCC account and I am torn between a couple cards… I’m leaning towards picking up a Lugia V alt art + Giritina V

5 Likes

Gem Mint

9 Likes

1st Choice:

2nd Choice:

rippedunikarp

3rd Choice:

23 Likes

Even ripped in half, that Uni Magikarp probably is still worth more than $1K :joy:

10 Likes

Charizard EX 276/XY-P

Cheers!

11 Likes

Masaki Gengar definitely … It’s the most expensive of the Masaki group.

Ironically it’s the 2nd of the group with more population …

(Source: Pokémon Card Trainers Magazine Vol.2)

12 Likes

I think I’d probably use the funds to buy an English Tropical Tidal Wave. I only picked the Staff version here because it seems like a cool addition to the card, but the normal version would do also. I love Sumiyoshi Kizuki’s old thick-outline style, the card has a Hoppip cameo, it’s a cool Worlds promo, and I really like how the colors really pop on this one (with the pink of Hoppip, blue of Marill, yellow of Pikachu, and the different colors of the surfboard, sea, and sky)–it’s just an awesome card!

16 Likes

One of my biggest regrets in the last few years is not just buying that NM copy of porygon for you when I saw it. I had had my copy for 1-2 years at that point but for some reason had never taken down the email notif’s for it (that’s how seldom it came up). It was $500 which was so shockingly cheap in this day and age that even if you hadn’t had the funds I would have been happy to put it in my old back binder until you did.

Hell I want you to have it so bad I probs would have just given it to you at a loss! Man, stupid. STUPID! Of course it sold within 24 hours, I mean that’s the biggest steal ever. The last time it was that price was 5 years ago. The equivalent now would be seeing a NM kang for 10k. If I did… phew. I have way bigger priorities now but I’m afraid I’d simply buy it instantaneously.

10 Likes

That is an easy one, even if $1000 isn’t enough for a NM copy:

11 Likes

15 Likes

I’d probably want to get a poor condition full art Mario Pikachu but I think that it exceeds $1000 :pensive:

So I’d probably want to get a crystal lugia

9 Likes

Nah man, don’t even worry. I know I lament about the card but you shouldn’t feel guilty even in the slightest. I’m happy with where my collection is at so even if I don’t ever get the Porygon, I at least have everything else. Things happen and you were under no obligation. You told me when it was up and I just missed the window is all.

7 Likes

Unfortunately, @pokebuffet couldn’t be here today but I am humbled to answer on their behalf;

17 Likes