If Pokemon Red/Blue were released today - what legendary would be on the box?

Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow and their remakes are the only mainline games that don’t feature the game’s legendary pokemon as the box art and don’t integrate the legendary pokemon into the plot/story (as far as I know, I haven’t played any of the Switch games).

If Red/Blue were released today, which legendary(ies) would be featured on the box and how would it/they integrate into the plot?

Gen 1 Legendary Pokemon include Moltres, Articuno, Zapdos, Mewtwo and Mew

2 Likes

Mewtwo on the box and the game would be about it’s conflict with the world, Team Rocket and Mew.

1 Like

I definitely lean towards Mew and Mewtwo on the boxes. Maybe Pokemon Eminence (a shade of purple for Mewtwo) and Pokemon Rose (a light Pink shade for Mew).

1 Like

Yeah, putting the birds on the boxes is not an option unless the whole story is to be rewritten.

If they are to remain as twin games and not solo then they would either have to be significantly different from each other, or they would have to shape the story in such a way as to make them catchable at the same point in the storyline (which isn’t farfetched but I’d love to see two different perspectives.)

I think the only way the birds could work is if all 3 were on one box and Mewtwo (or mew) was on the other. 3 versions doesn’t make as much sense, specifically because Yellow was all about Pikachu.

Plot wise, Team Rocket could be trying to harness the power of either Mewtwo, or maybe the three birds combined lead to some sort of “balance” needed to control Mewtwo. A lot of options if the plot was redone to center around the legendaries

Absolutely, the problem to me is that the birds are so integral to the gen 2 story. It wouldn’t “feel right”, but then again the birds are not part of gsc game lore and if they redid things then everything is possible. But the gen 1 lore is so good as is.

Also, Eminence & Rose has a nice ring to it.

I’m actually gonna go with Articuno (Blue), Moltres (Red), and Zapdos (Yellow). I think it’s the most simple and congruent with the colors. The story in R/B/Y is hardly about the starters as it is. Especially if you play Red for example and pick Squirtle, you’ll likely never even see a Charizard in your playthrough.

4 Likes

Another option out of left field would be Mewtwo on one and Giovanni on the other.

The fact that Crystal has a 580 trio mon on the front never sat right with me (great game still ofc.)

Articuno & Moltres seem obvious choices.

Pokémon Crystal after all was Suicune.

Just saw this on IG. This would be my choice for Red.

After all, Arcanine is the Legendary Pokémon :sunglasses:

As for Blue, idk haha

6 Likes

Guzzlord

5 Likes

Great choice!

1 Like

I should have posted it because now I seem like a liar but 10000% I thought Arcanine and Gyarados too!

3 Likes

1 Like

Mew as Cover would be the Biggest PR Gag ever

Missingno is the true gen 1 legendary

2 Likes

Hate my answer all you want but you know they’d find a way to put Charizard on both boxes.

New Legendary Charizard forms: Charizard Red & Charizard Blue!

Mega-Charizard-X_610
This has already been done :white_check_mark:

3 Likes

How about this: pretend all Gen 1 pokemon hadn’t been released yet and they are the new generation.