Sealed Video Game Tier List

With the recent rise in sealed Pokémon Video Games, I think we will start to see a tier list start to formulate itself.

Obviously Pokémon Red is King. But what versions do you think will be 2nd, 3rd, and so on?

Are Blue and Yellow more valuable than, say, Emerald or Crystal?

Curious for you thoughts!

I don’t pay much attention to sealed prices because I don’t see the value in owning a sealed game. It’s not my cup of tea, but if it’s yours than happily sip away. If I recall correctly, Blue/Yellow have a higher sealed price than Crystal or Emerald last I looked months ago. That may be because there could be higher demand for Blue/Yellow if you look at the games sales data.

Red/Green/Blue sold 31.38 million

Yellow sold 14.64 million

Crystal sold 6.39 million

Emerald sold 7.06 million

There’s a lot more people that bought/played Blue and Yellow than there were for Crystal/Emerald, so logic would assume that are more people who would want the Gen 1 games in sealed condition vs the special edition game for Gens 2 & 3. I could be wrong, but that’s my speculation. I could definitely see Crystal/Emerald shooting up in price because of this limited availability though. I’m currently trying to collect all the games in their box (opened) at the moment and I already own Crystal/Emerald. I actually bought them first last month because they had the least availability on eBay at the time and it was hard to find them in good condition with all of the original contents. I paid the most for Crystal (vs Red/Blue which I own now) and I still feel like what I got it for was a steal. Same with Emerald.

My favoite game is honestly FireRed, its Kanto with Gen 2 & 3.

But in terms of value, Red & Blue, followed by FireRed & Emerald imo.

3 Likes

yellow SHOULD be first, for goat artwork

3 Likes

I’d say roughly in the order they were released but with Yellow first. Kinda wish I had bought the older ones sealed when they were cheaper but I’m not really someone that displays my collection

I tried to order a few Diamond boxes off ebay but the seller cancelled the order when I questioned if they were fake so that put me off buying any more

I don’t know what it is about Diamond/Pearl/Platinum but I see fake sealed versions of them all the time and I don’t see that with the other DS games.

If Crystal isn’t at the top of your list - you’re wrong :wink:

5 Likes

Blue Version should be worth slightly more than Red, because it’s better.

3 Likes

In order imo

Red - iconic, charizard, charizard?
Crystal - rare due to lower print/popularity, awesome cover art, first time you could play as a girl
Blue - iconic and blastoise
Yellow - iconic, pikachu, and Pokémon follows trainer
Emerald - rare due to lower print and popularity, rayquaza
Stadium 2 - awesome artwork, rare
The rest of them

Other thoughts
-Stadium 1 was amazing but due to circle seal and large box I think less people would chase this graded. (Wata also doesn’t grade)
-red blue yellow have 3 different print runs so It’ll be interesting to track the value differences in them.

What about Pokémon box

Where were you able to source this sales data ? Or is that just the # of copies sold in general?

of copies sold in general, I think I got the data from this site here

I wrote 31.38 m for RGB but this site says 31.05m so maybe I got that number from somewhere else.

Yellow has 3 different print runs? I was only aware of the Red/Blue variants. Curious to know what they are

I think a pop report would be integral when creating a tier list…but who knows if/when that will be released

1 Like

I don’t have an exact answer, but I would guess any of the games that were released in carboard boxes as opposed to plastic cases they started using for the DS. I can also see Heartgold and Soulsilver getting up there in price with them being hugely popular games and going back to the cardboard box to fit the Pokewalker. Though I don’t think they’ll go as high as the earlier gen games.

US Box is definitely one of the rarest out there for sure. I would like to see what a sealed one would go for. Its certainly valuable so it would be fascinating to see what games its could go higher than.