Hypothetical - The Smallest You Could Make Your Collection

the if you had to start over again? thread brought up a question I often ask myself which is “if for some reason, you had to sell off most of my cards and could only keep a few, or even just one, which ones would remain?”

How would you answer this question?

I’m not sure how I’d answer it myself. I can get down to a pretty small number of cards, but I start to hit a wall after getting down far enough.

I could part with the gold star ray and not feel too bad.

after that, the decisions would definitely kill a part of me, but next to go would be the other two gold stars, then the play ray, then the absol, and finally the umbreon ex; leaving just Karen’s Umbreon as the final card remaining if I had to only keep one from my collection.

notes about me:

• I am a huge modern/special art simp and believe there has never been a better time to be into pokemon. I buy cards from nearly every set that comes out now that there are at the very least ARs that I can add to my nat dex collection.

• Also, I grew up with wotc, and stopped collecting before neo. There is no nostalgia at play in my final choices. I just like these the most out of everything I own.

11 Likes

I hate this thread

31 Likes

I’ve thought about this too, and like I like to do, I’m going to steal something from the coin world. There’s a company, Dansco, who makes coin albums. One of those is called the 7070, which is a “type album”. This just means that there’s a slot in the album for one type of coin from every design and denomination.

I’d take a similar approach with cards. I would want one card from each of these categories. I don’t include everything, and bet others may do it a little differently

• One WOTC holo
  • One WOTC Shining
  • One E-series holo
  • One Crystal
  • One ex holo
  • One gold star
  • One Diamond and Pearl holo
  • One Diamond and Pearl shiny
  • One HGSS holo
  • One B&W full art
  • One XY full art
  • One S&M Alt Art
  • One SwSh Alt Art
  • One S&V Alt Art
  • One trophy card
  • One promo from each era
  • One autographed card
  • One Metapod card
  • One Celebi card
11 Likes

Gem mint copies of the top 10 + a shadowless booster box would go a long way.

12 Likes

yeah i think i’d end up in a similar spot, having one of each era icon that i am fond of such as an oldback (corocoro mew), an e-series, an ex, an adv/pcg holo, a gold star, a pt shiny (milotic), a bw ur (shiny garde), a tt gx special art (umbreon x darkrai), a swsh special art (tough choice… probably g-zapdos), and a sv special art (probably ting lu)

1 Like

dustox over shedinja? :smiling_face_with_tear:

3 Likes

Sacrifices Sacrifices Must Be Made GIF - Sacrifices Sacrifices Must Be Made Kingpin - Discover & Share GIFs, sacrifices must be made - zilvitismazeikiai.lt

2 Likes

Reading this thread hurt me. My attorney will now be seeking damages, Mr. @inertgeometry.

2 Likes

This is painful to think about, haha. Without hurting my brain, these are the first few that game to mind as the highlights of my collection. I liked @Will’s idea of representing different areas of the hobby, but I tried to be a little more narrow both in total number and to my specific collection. The CD promo Venusaur is a random one, but mine is a holo bleed like the card below and I probably spend more time looking at that card than I should. I’m simple and like shiny things, haha.

5 Likes

shining mew is such a staple. great choices overall

1 Like

I definitely agree with @c0ll3ct0r’s point that if I had to start again I probably just wouldn’t. It would be incredibly hard to cut down my collection to a few cards, but if I absolutely had to I’d probably keep my signed cards, a few of the most sentimental and important ones, and some of my favorite card arts.

10 Likes

alto mare’s lati twins are just outside of the ones i posted. they would be some of the last to go as well

3 Likes

If i had to, i would probably keep my staff binder, its only got like 15 cards in it right now but i feel like that would be the one to grow in 20 plus years. The plan is to pass everything to my son when he is getting his first actual house to help fund a down payment or pass on to his kids.

3 Likes

I will probably keep these historical artifacts.
I love cards that tells a good story

14 Likes

If I could only keep one card, I wouldn’t keep any.

In reality, if you were forced to keep selling off your cards, you’d probably have lots of bulk common cards leftover that you couldn’t sell lol.

1 Like

I’ve thought about this before but for my non-TCG. Much easier in that respect. I’d keep my Lake Biwa Shiga Prefecture Pokelid Gyarados Replica, my complete set of Gyarados Pracoro Dice, my Himeno signed Calendar, my 1998 Televikun Lottery Phone Card, Tamamushi University student ID set, Gyarados Metal Shooter, Gold Gyarados Pop Up Card, 2002 Pokemon Center Tokyo Manju Bun Box, and my Search for Red Gyarados Postcard set.

As for TCG, though, I’d keep the two signed cards I have that were personally made. I’d also keep the original 5 Gyarados cards that started my collection - making 7 personal cards. So to balance out, I’d choose my top 7 favorite Gyarados cards:

japshininggyaraholonphantomsgyaradosimage

10 Likes

I could probably narrow my collection down to a 360 pocket binder.

My expedition Master set + 3 blank 9 pocket pages.
These 27 cards would be my favorite Komiya artwork and cards with sentimental value such as signatures or memorable trades.

For the expedition cards, I’d crack out my best condition cards from their plastic tomb and replace my binder copies.

6 Likes

Honestly though it would just be a 1st edition PSA 9 base set holo set. Super basic but that’s how it is.

Like the guy from the movie
lost everything and ended up back with his first card

12 Likes

this is dope. concise, yet diverse within being so focused. great choices

love this as choice as well. they’d make great conversations with people who ask about them and likely bring a lot of pride/joy over the years

4 Likes

if i was allowing myself one full collection, it would be my national dex collection. that way i could at least have one card for every pokemon.

2 Likes