How should I sell a complete 1st edition German Base set?

Hi everyone, happy to be a part of e4
I have a complete (or very near complete) set of 1st edition German Base set cards I will be looking to sell for the highest price possible in the next 6 months. I would guess that 40% would get PSA 9, 50% PSA 8, and 10% PSA 7 or lower if I were to grade them. I have very little market data on such a set, there was one sold ungraded a few years ago for about $1100 and recently someone put one up on eBay ungraded for $1800. Here are my options, what is your opinion?

• Sell as individuals (I hear this would be less profitable than selling as a set)
  • Sell as a raw set (Avoids the $900 + cost of grading)
  • Grade just the holos
  • Grade the whole set

Any insights welcome, not meaning to advertise so please don’t post offers.
Thanks

2 Likes

Only holos you think would get a 9 would be worth it. If that does not include the Charizard, Blastoise and/or venusaur I would not grade any of the cards.

Putting it on eBay well described as a whole set with a high price with best offer would be your best bet I guess.
I’m in a similar situation with a Spanish set although they are far less rare.

Price wise I wouldn’t know what they go for. Good luck!

3 Likes

I don’t think there is much point in grading the whole set from a sales perspective. The cost to grade commons and uncommons isn’t worth it as it doesn’t raise their value much.

Depending on the condition of the holo’s especially the big three I think it would be worth grading just the holo’s if they are likely to get PSA 9 or 10. You could even go down to a PSA 8 for the Charizard as it still sells for over £400.

If the holo’s are not in great condition I would probably just sell ungraded as a set and save on grading fees.

2 Likes