How rare is this Pikachu error/misprint card?

Was going through my old cards last night and found that I have a Pikachu Edition 1 error/misprint card. I searched the internet trying to find info on the card but could only find one small write up about it being pretty rare and I found a couple on eBay but even those don’t really talk about the card.

In searching I found that there was actually a few misprints with this card in particular , the red cheeks, the ghost “edition 1” where it’s grey but not black. Neither of these are what I have. Mine is a misprinted Edition 1 stamp that only has the letters “E ITION” it’s missing the D, there is no number 1 and it’s very light/not filled in.

Anyone on here know what I’m talking about? The card itself isn’t in the best shape so I’m sure it’s not worth anything but I’m curious as to just how rare this misprint really is… any help is appreciated! I’m very curious now.

imgur.com/gallery/OQRZMK4

1 Like

this is the pikachu ghost stamp, not sure on the value since all base pikachus have been rising like crazy, but should be worth a pretty penny.

2 Likes

As mentioned by @thymeee , your misprint is indeed the Ghost stamp error. The one where it’s grey instead of black you’ve mentioned is a Grey stamp error.

Some more information about ALL Base Set Pikachu variations can be found in this article I wrote: Base Pikachu artwork card variations.

To quote the relevant part for your Ghost stamp Pikachu:

Additionally, information about all 1st edition stamps can be found in another article I wrote: 1st edition stamp variations - ‘Let’s Iron It Out!’.

Again a quote of the relevant part for the Ghost stamp:

As for value, you’ll have to look at recent sold listings for cards in comparable condition (yours seems to be in MP/P condition), but it’s probably worth a couple hundred bucks these days.

Greetz,
Quuador

6 Likes

Thank you for the help!

1 Like

An additional question about this card… is it worth getting it graded if the condition is bad? Like does the fact that this is an error card make it worth getting graded? The condition is bad like 3/10 even though it’s been in this binder for 20 years

If I’m going to send in other cards anyway should I just include this too? I’m very new here sorry if this is a dumb question.

In this case it’s probably not worth grading imo. I would personally only grade played cards like 1st edition Base Set starter evolutions, or extremely rare cards like Trophy or SNAP cards (primarily to authenticate it through the grading). Whether you plan on selling it or not, I don’t think it’s not worth the money of grading this played card tbh.

Also, I’m pretty sure PSA doesn’t grade this misprint anymore. BGS and CGC still do, though.

Greetz,
Quuador

2 Likes

I can confirm that I have also heard that PSA does not grade this card.

As for grading overall, that comes down to preference. I dont think it would add to much value to the card given the condition but if you like the look of BGS/CGC or the protection they provide, it could be a consideration.

Overall, I agree with Quuador. From a money/selling standpoint, it wouldnt be worth grading unless you have a preference for graded slabs in your collection for the reasons above.

Nice card!

1 Like

Also, not a dumb question at all. Its an interesting conversation on what should be graded. @misterbillnoooo ,

1 Like

Sweet card! I wish I could $ to add one to my collection =)