1st Edition Base Stamped Backs Misprint

I was going through my 1st Edition Base binder and noticed my Pikachu had the back stamp misprint. These were believed to be from the ink drying on the sheets while stacked. They are not the norm and significantly rarer. I have a few of these on other 1st Base cards, mostly on energies, and was curious how people perceive them?

Here are some photos for reference, the misprint stamp is on the right middle back of the card:

6 Likes

That’s cool, never seen that before.

I’ve often speculated that for every “grey stamp” there is probably a corresponding “back stamped” card out there.

The full contoured back stamps are cool. They are not as talked about.

1 Like

i forget if it was tca or gary from where i first saw these. I think they are cool but possible easy to replicate? it is closer to the “ink spot/blot” errors than the other legitimate printing errors in my opinion, but close to crossing over that line. I think it should add some value, maybe 10%-15%

2 Likes

Some people speculate this is how we got the grey stamps. Whether there’s any truth to that I don’t know.

5 Likes

i like that theory @raichuforyou

Gem Mint has one at 13:33

3 Likes

I like that theory about the back stamp corresponding to grey stamps lol but most of the grey stamps I’ve seen are pretty uniform and I think if they were a result of the sheets touching while stacked then the grey stamps would be a bit more blotchy. I also have the artistic skills of a third grader so I may not be the best person to formulate ink/paint conspiracy theories.

It’s an interesting theory but if true we should see some back stamps that correspond with the placement on energy cards and trainer cards. Also, if this is the case we should be able to observe back stamps on holo cards since we have grey stamp holos. Furthermore, grey stamp cards should (almost) all feature back stamps if this is true.
More research might reveal the truth down the line. I personally, don’t have any way to check first hand.

1 Like

had about 15 of these graded psa 9. didn’t/don’t think much of them, sold them at no premium

Could you share any photos of them?

That Pikachu looks Familiar…
Either that, or you have 2 of those back-stamped Pikachu Cards! Haha

I’m not big into error collecting myself. Personally, I’ve never valued those back-stamped 1st Base Cards anymore than normal 1st Ed. Base Cards. However, you’re starting to make me think I should sort through my Inventory to see if I have anymore!

Graded about a dozen or so back stamp errors and managed to get one 10.

link

2 Likes

No, unfortunately, this was about 3 years ago. I bought a majority of them from @pokemonrevolution I doubt he even noticed they were on there.

I recently found one of these on my 1st edition ghastly. It is currently at PSA but I will post a picture once its back. :sunglasses:

Nice find Scott!

They are also mentioned in my 1st edition stamp variations article. To quote the relevant parts (including the Grey stamp above it):

I personally have three Red Cheeks Base Set Pikachus like this (never seen a Yellow Cheeks Base Set Pikachu with back imprinted stamp btw). One with an imprint similar as the one shown by Scott; one less visible; and one white one. The first two are shown in my Base Set Pikachu variations article (see sections English Shadowless 1st edition Red Cheeks with 1st edition Black stamp imprint on the back and English Shadowless 1st edition Red Cheeks with 1st edition White stamp imprint on the back).

Greetz,
Quuador

5 Likes

@quuador that close up picture of the grey stamp is very useful. Not nearly as uniform and smooth as I thought based on my experience of looking at grey stamps from a distance. You can see areas where there is no ink at all in the area surrounding the 1. This makes the stacking theory much more credible, never knew they looked like that up close. I am now a grey stamp as a result of stacking conspiracy theorist.

3 Likes

They came from a booster box I opened. There were a lot more from that box but I didn’t sell them at a premium. I still have some.

Few variations of it on my cards. The two lighter stamps are both on a Machop and the more defined stamp is on a Porygon. Are we calling this the “Tramp Stamp” error?

1 Like