How Many Packs Do You Crack Of Each New Set?

Hey all,

Just wanted to get an idea of on average how many packs/boxes/cases everyone cracks open themselves of each new set if any?

I usually try to open an least 1 box of each set and then more if it’s a fun set like evolving skies and celebrations but wanted to see where everyone else is at on this?

2 Likes

7 Likes

Typically around 2 boxes with my goddaughter and sometimes cousins if they are in town. Then maybe an ETB and 3 pack blisters too.

1 Like

I don’t open packs unless I win them or if they come with the Promo in an Ultra Premium Collection box or something.

1 Like

Zero for me. I wait for singles, the excitement of opening packs is not great enough to overcome the financial decision.

4 Likes

Either 21 or 57.

Guaranteed to do 3 prerelease tournaments at my local game store (my favourite part of the hobby) and then will also open a booster box if it’s a great set.

1 Like

I’m on the zero boat

2 Likes

0 as well for me, unless it’s one of the anniversary sets or i am gifted some packs then i will enjoy them.
There are so many nonmodern cards i want to collect i often find i don’t have money spare to enjoy modern product. However if my kids end up getting into Pokémon i would love to crack packs with them :blush:

1 Like

I will typically pre-order an ETB so I can check out a new set when it releases. Once the hype dies down a bit, I’ll wait until booster boxes are cheap ($90~ range) and open 1 or 2 (if I *really* like the set).

Just fun to get together with friends and open packs tbh.

1 Like

I usually crack an ETB of each set, and my favorites I’ll crack a box or two. Recently I’ve bought some Japanese boxes because I like the quality better but with only 1 SR per box, it’s hard to get something you actually want.

Celebrations I cracked like 200 packs, had a ton of fun completing the set by opening packs only. If only you could do that with any other sets.

2 Likes

If I’m trying to pull one card? About half a pallet.

4 Likes

I really only open packs now when someone gives them to me as a gift on Christmas. My friends and I used to buy a box, crack it and resell our pulls to put towards opening another box, but we haven’t done that since Burning Shadows was released.

I love opening packs but unless I am trying to complete a binder set, I’d rather spend the money elsewhere.

1 Like

@kingboo64 ,@johnnymucho ,@pokeminnesota ,@nish ,@pikachutcg ,

Geeze lot of party poopers in here lol. I mean i get its not a sound investment to open product but no one has fun anymore cracking at least 1 box or even an ETB lol. Definitely Surprised to see.

@firebirder31 ,@explorer ,@kris ,

Nice Nice. Good to hear some are with me on having a little (non financial) fun lol

And Last @trevcatchem ,

Now thats LEGIT haha. I mean if only i could afford to i would love to be able to do the same!!!

Thanks for all the replys. Always fun to see how everyone else deals with the addiction of opening packs and also in this case how much will power some of you have to not touch a single pack. Im impressed!

1 Like

whenever I go to walmart or target for whatever reason I always get a pack for me and my gf. Although yesterday when I was at the store I actually found a Vaporeon VMAX box so I had to pick it up.

2 Likes

I open anywhere from 0-3 booster boxes of each new set. I like to open at least 1 but it isn’t my highest priority. I haven’t opened a box of Fusion Strike yet, but I opened 2 or 3 boxes worth of packs from all the other sets last year.

Usually a box and some kits. *Maybe* an ETB. I will go after everything to complete sets, but it’ll generally be 1-2 years after release for modern sets.

1 Like

Usually 0. But if it’s a set I really love like Eevee Heroes, I’ll break 1 or 2 boxes.

1 Like

0 for me with the rare exception of packs being given to me as a gift. As others have said, the enjoyment of opening packs is not great enough for the cost in my opinion.

I would definitely open packs more frequently if it was actually possible to complete a set by opening a case or something around there. Given how many SRs and URs there are now, it isn’t as much fun for me. Such a low chance I’ll actually pull the card(s) I want from the set.

1 Like

It’s not a matter of being a party pooper or not, it literally makes zero logical and financial sense (for me) to buy and open packs for cards I don’t care about owning. Why would I burn ninety or a hundred dollars for a box of cards I don’t inherently want? Newer sets often don’t interest me like they used to, and they’re so bloated that the chances of me hitting a chase card are slim to none. I’d rather focus on my collection goals (that are more vintage in nature) instead of bleeding cash for a modern card I don’t actually want or could buy straight up.

If you want to enjoy the hobby by buying a box or ETB of modern every time a new set is released, go for it! I am simply choosing not to.

5 Likes