How did this Shadowless Charizard get an 8

I bought this charizard and I didn’t notice the scratch on the right until just now. How did this get an 8. I thought scratched being down a card to a 6?:sob:

This type of wear looks like a PSA 8 to me. If not for that deeper scratch, it probably would have been a PSA 9.

I thought a scratch bring it down to a 6 automatically?

No, dents will give you a PSA 6 automatically.

Okay, I’m just kinda bummed. But it’s not bad

Look at it this way, you have a mint card with the exception of that deep scratch. The rest of the card is pretty incredible and you should be proud to own it. :smiley:

4 Likes

You’re right. Thank you

1 Like

I’m genuinely curious because I don’t collect graded cards. But I feel I’d rather have a dent which surely isn’t very visible vs. a scratch which is very visible. Do they justify why that’s the case anywhere, or maybe you know?

4 Likes

I don’t think you’re alone with that sentiment. A lot of people would prefer a PSA 6 with a small dent to a PSA 7 or 8. Even more so if they’re going to crack the card out and put it in their binder.

To answer your question, PSA will never give you a reasoning for their grade. A keen eye will help you spot a mint PSA 6 card. When there are no scratches or whitening to be seen, you can assume that there is a small dent that auto-graded it to a PSA 6.

4 Likes

grader had no coffee ><

As a longtime collector of 8s I have never seen an 8 with damage like that. Severe surface damage like that has absolutely no business being described as “near mint”, which is what the PSA 8 threshold is meant to guarantee.

I know this sounds snobby but I wouldn’t even consider a card like that collectable, let alone near mint. In my opinion PSA really screwed up here.

1 Like

Now this belongs in the unpopular opinions thread

Your opposition will only steel my resolve!!

Well that makes me sad

I think you have a good PSA 8, don’t listen to the PSA H8!

Do you have a return opportunity? :frowning:

Yeah I do. Thinking about filing one with eBay since it didn’t state the scratch in the description. Idk

That scratch is deeper than what I see on most 8s that I’ve bought, however the card is also very well centered and the back of the card has next to no whitening at all from what it appears. So I think it’s a fair “near mint” card, all things considered.

Personally, this is why I buy 8s with whitening, as I find they have cleaner holos usually. But regardless, it’s still a PSA 8 in the end. It all just depends on what flaw(s) made it an 8 instead of a different grade.

1 Like

Please don’t do this. Sellers don’t need to state specific deficits on graded cards. It is on the buyer to look at the card and see if they agree with the grade from PSA/BGS/CGC/etc.

9 Likes

Agree. The situation kinda sucks but if the scratch showed on the seller’s picture then they did nothing wrong. If anything you can try to take it up with PSA as a misgrade and see what they say.

2 Likes