Horizontal Lines Through Holofoil

Hi All,

I remember a lot of holos i’d pull from WOTC era would tend to have a straight, neat, feint line through the holofoil horizontally.

I remember sending some Gym cards with these lines to PSA and getting some 10’s even when the line was there. The reason i was stupid to send cards with these lines to PSA was because looking at other psa 10 cards i purchased off ebay or even images on ebay i’d notice the lines would be there.

This begs me to ask a few questions;

* Does this factory printing line affect grade-a-bility?
* if so, are these cards not meant to be getting PSA 10

With the introduction of Evolutions i notice pretty much every holofoil (not EX or full art, but the old school style foils) i pull has this line through it. I wonder if it will affect PSA grading?

FYI, I sent a 1st edition misty’s golduck to PSA with this line through it came back a 10. this was about 4 years ago so there is one floating out there!

It shoud affect the grade and they definitely shouldn’t be giving out any PSA 10s to cards with factory scratches.

1 Like

I don’t think you read the OP properly. These aren’t scratches, these are lines created in the printing process.

Is the card more appealing without these lines? Probably, should it drop the card to a 9 for a barely noticeable line? I don’t think so.

I’d happily own a PSA 10 with known very minor printing imperfections. That’s just my opinion though.

This.

They’re not scratches but factory print lines.

I’m sure the more experienced collectors such as @smpratte and @garyis2000 would know about this

Off the top of my head, ancient mew errors stand out to me as earning 10’s with factory lines. They typically have a higher rate of factory lines than other cards.

I can see this going both ways, but I would probably agree with oz, I don’t think the average feint factory holo line should reduce the grade.

1 Like

Those lines actually occur when the uncut sheets are produced then loaded sideways into a stack from which they will later be peeled off length wise and cut. We always called them “pack scratches” cause they were like that right out of the pack.

Depending how they affect the “look” of the card will determine if it gets docked a grade.
For example:
A base Chansey cut from the same sheet as a base Zapdos will be 3 to 4 times less likely to get a 10. Why? Because those pack scratches show up like crazy on the Chansey and are nearly invisible to the eye on the Zapdos;)

This is valuable info folks :nerd_face:

8 Likes

Thanks.

HAve you been opening Evolutions packs? have you noticed how prevalent these ‘pack scratches’ are on the foils in evolution, probably even more so than base set :open_mouth:

Well… it is the 20th year anniversary set after all, so, why not give you a little bit of nostalgia with LINES!!! :wink:

4 Likes

Legendary collection is known to have print lines, every cards I have sent in with these have not scored a 10. I know 1 guy who did manage to get a few 10s with LC cards with print lines. I would say it affects the grade