Factory Print Lines

Hi there,

New to this forum, so go easy. I have a whole bunch of cards that have been stored away since I pulled them out of packs. They include base set 1st, fossil, jungle, rocket etc. They are all in pretty tight condition only that on a few of them I notice a faint print line. I know this question has probably been asked many times before, but how do these reflect in PSA grades? Would it stop it getting from a 10 if the rest of the card is in ship shape?

I understand a card like the Lapras 1st edition fossil is notorious for this, and I’ve also got one with the faintest print line which I didn’t even notice until I looked closely!

Appreciate replies, Thanks!

It can, definitely more recently I’ve felt that they’re harder on print lines. If they’re really extreme I think the lowest you’d get is an 8, all other factors remaining perfect.

Thank you, yes, these cards appear to be in mint condition, no whitening or things like that. Only a few have really faint print lines. Actually to edit my post - Some of my 1st edition jungles have some silvering (but no print line), so how is that viewed within the parameters of a 10 grade?

Cheers

A card could still get a 10 with light silvering but with factory lines you would more than likely be expecting a 9 if the rest of the card was mint. If it was very very light you might get away with it and grade a 10 but I would expect a 9.

Thanks! I do find it quite odd how they may deem print lines a worse defect than silvering :sob:

Yeah, just to reiterate what others have said - I have never seen a card with a print line on the holo receive a grade of PSA 10, and I own a lot of holos in PSA 10.

And yes, a card can get a 10 with some slight silvering on the edges provided the rest of the card is a gem.

Obviously, neither print lines on the holo nor silvering is ideal, but I personally agree with PSA that a print line on the holo takes away from the appeal of a card more than some slight silvering on the edges.

The easiest way to predict a grade of PSA 10 is: no surface scratches / print lines on the holo, minimal whiteness on the blue border on the back of the card, and good centering.

4 Likes

What about if there a print line on back instead? Just curious.

They won’t be quite as severe.

1 Like