High-rollers: Do you have a card you'd never let go of?

What’s the story behind the no-rarity Pikachu? Did you get it autographed in person?

My lucky university magikarp. I bought a Japanese collection and was sorting through bulk, when I made it to the water pokemon, a university magikarp was staring me in the face.

I have higher graded copies of unikarp, and would sell those before the lucky copy!

24 Likes

I think I would be willing to sacrifice nearly any card in my collection for the service of ultra rare Chanseys, for example if the opportunity came up to trade for a No. 1 Girl Trainer, with the exception of:

• Snap Chansey
  • Clefable Holo Shift
  • Chansey Holo Shift

Because I would never be able to replace them.

I have plenty of sentimental cards I would never sell for anywhere near “market value” but realistically if someone offered a trophy card I want for a $20 card with high sentimental value I would probably accept.

10 Likes

I interviewed her while doing a research project for the Tokyo Foundation in the early 2000s. So yeah, the autograph was done in person. She was delightful.

5 Likes

3 Likes

My pokemon rocks America lugia that I got at the event, and my entei gold star that I pulled from the unseen forces packs they were giving out.

1 Like

Because I’m aiming for the tip of the mountain there is nothing I wouldn’t let go at the right moment. Big goals require big sacrifices, I know once these are gone it will be for good.

5 Likes

I’m not a high-roller but I would like to answer your question!
I couldn’t imagine trading away my mint rainbow rare Professors Research, it’s actually one of the only mint cards I have and would treasure it regardless of value. To me, it’s priceless.

3 Likes

I completely share this outlook. My entire Pichu collection is staying with me to the grave but I would sacrifice most of the replaceable cards if an opportunity arose for me to obtain an extremely rare Pichu card/item (the Neo Genesis artwork sample Pichu, for instance, or the unique New Pokémon Snap contest console).

I don’t share the sentiment that there’s always a price. Throughout history people have sold things they very quickly went on to regret that they could never get back, and I would have to be in a very desperate place to begin to consider selling my collection. My collection is priceless to me.

3 Likes

No, everything is for sale if the right amount is offered.

1 Like

Obligatory not a high-roller disclaimer etc.

For the most expensive cards I own: over the year, I have several times thought ‘when the price gets to X, I’ll think about selling’. Sure enough, those prices aren’t even in the rear-view mirror anymore… but I find myself even more reluctant to sell now because, like others have mentioned, those cards will just be harder to replace.

It’s maybe worth mentioning that there are other, lower-tier items that I have recently replaced, but I wish I had just kept the first copy. Maybe this is just irrational, but the sentimentality is real.

With that said, I’ve recently considered selling one card so I can afford something else, but even the act of selling it is not straightforward, so it just feels like another mental barrier. Furthermore, with irreplacebale cards, I feel like you need an outrageous price to be tempted into selling.

I’ll never ever part with my collections. Even if each card went up by 5,000%, I don’t care.

Not a high roller, but I treat sellers well. I bought some NM item off tcgplayer (only god knows if it’s actually Mint) for $2500 tonight when ebay’s pictures version sells for $2,000. It’s all good, just a few bucks that I can make later, right? The answer is Yes. (Poor boys, start sweating- well if the item was $1,700 I’d highly entertain that idea of buying it. lawl.)

And Yes i have items that I prefer not selling as funds are not that necessary, even during these times when jeez money is very good.

These are probably the 4 cards i’ll never sell:

11 Likes

If I was in a impossibly challenging financial situation I could/would let most of everything go, family and personal well being come first. I dont think I could ever let go of my snap bulbasaur though.

6 Likes

never sell

4 Likes

Coop, you have relatively nice cards. I forgive you. We shall move on

4 Likes

So do you want to buy my $450 card for $600?

2 Likes

There are probably some cards I say I wouldn’t sell, but then again…

3 Likes

Cute. Negative.