High price card replicas

Does anyone make or buy replicas of the highest priced cards just to ‘finish off’ their binder or collection? Like a page at the back with the ‘I’ll never get these’ cards?

What’s your experience with doing so?

3 Likes

No, they’re fake.

30 Likes

I would never support anyone making fakes financially.

14 Likes

Fake cards are cancer to this hobby, and I wouldn’t support them in any fashion.

16 Likes

You didn’t finish the set.

18 Likes

Nope. I usually just leave a blank space in my binder with a piece of paper so I know a card is missing at that position, even if I might never be able to acquire said card.

Greetz,
Quuador

4 Likes

“replicas” as they call them, are complete dog shit. If you really want something to represent a card you don’t have then magnets, signs, posters etc are a good idea.

www.ebay.com/itm/282599127720
www.ebay.com/itm/322581806479

Anything that could be passed off as a real card to an inexperienced collector is generally frowned upon.

5 Likes

Only time I made fake cards was in magic using proxies, but I only used them when playing with friends and family as they did the same thing. In this hobby fake cards belong in the shredder.

No substitutes

As long as no one’s being deceived, some of the more professional ones would look nice in a binder!

2 Likes

5 Likes

“Proxy”, “custom” and “replica” are all terms you’ll see used by people who want to profit by, in essence (can’t think of a better term at the moment), gutting the hobby of the chase for its more important cards. They’re also a gateway to scams as they are one in the same.

3 Likes

@benjolmes, while an option for many as they are around the various interwebs, I choose not to just based on principle. I can see how these can be appealing to some as a placeholder or way to give the illusion of a finished collection, but i personally rather not give power and money towards something that isnt real as it only opens the gateway for more of that activity to occur. That being said, i just save my money i would have spent on the fake and continue to seek out the actual goal.

4 Likes

I don’t understand. If you buy/make fakes to “finish” your collection why would you not just fake the entire collection? No serious collector is going to respect your collection if you purposefully ‘fill in the gaps’ with fakes either way

8 Likes

As long as the printout is not a part of your collection, but rather something to fill a void instead of having an open gap in your binder. Its not a card, its a placeholder. But just print something from an image search on 8.5 by 11 paper and trim it so it does not deceive. Don’t pay for it.

Collecting is about how you value YOUR collection, not how others value it. It is only about how others value it when it is time to sell. When the time comes to sell, do not advertise any such set as complete or any such cards as authentic.

There are no unintended consequences as long as you keep it to yourself and do not advertise to others, in person or online. But who cares what goes on social media as it sucks and is trash.

4 Likes

Hope I didn’t cause any offense with this question! I also did not mean it in a way that it would deceive anyone or be passed on to prospective buyers as real. More so just the idea of having what they look like in a binder.

That said, I completely agree with not supporting people who make fakes, something I hadn’t really thought about.

I’d seen replicas on eBay with high view counts and thought that maybe it was a popular thing to do, even though I haven’t done it.

4 Likes

Also I was meaning only very high priced cards like trophies. I also don’t see the point of having half real half fakes mixed in with eachother.

1 Like

Fake cards are for fake collectors

13 Likes

Creating replicas of chase cards only hurts the hobby and devalues the actual chase card. Why would Johnny down the street buy a $200,000 trophy card when he and his dozen friends could get an $8 replica from ebay? I’d say it’s worse to create replicas of super limited cards than it is of zubat #78 that sells for $0.30

1 Like

For some people some cards are way too expensive, so the idea above is actually a really good idea. As long as you dont deceive people if you eventually decide to sell or dont even make the card look like real (via a printed card on some flimsy paper or any of the ideas above) it is fine by me.

Edit: @zubat you hit the nail on the head, could not have said it better

1 Like