Fake cards affecting the market or not?

Hi guys.

I just recently started “investing” in the hobby and had plans to invest much more this year, but the latest fake card video with the illustrator, that i am sure we are all aware of, made me question the safety of investing too large amounts long term. I saw that Scott made a great video about why we shouldn’t be afraid, but i would also really like to hear other people view on it. People who don’t have higher end cards to be worried about. Just a neutral view of how afraid we should/should not be.

I just think that, if a guy like him, can make such a good copy from his garage, imagine what professional criminals would be able to do, having the right machines and what not to create the cards. The threat hasn’t been there before, because the prices of the cards haven’t been huge, but i’m sure the latest spike in prices will attract many more people/criminal organisations trying to fake the cards, and in my opinion it only takes 1 very good copy to go through PSA to really put the market in jeopardy.

Would love to hear other peoples view on it also. From a neutral point of view and not from personal interest in the hobby.

Hope to get some response.

Thank you.

Mike

Nothing to worry about!

But why not? Its easy to say: Nothing to worry about.

Because perfecting a fake is harder than you make it out to be, the new fakes in the graded card cases look good to an untrained eye, but not so much to someone who’s educated

The quality is crap!, they look so bad even from a distance, imagine if you had them in your hands

you should only worry if you thought the illustrator in the graded card case was a good fake lol

I think if ill-intentioned people have the technology to produce high quality trading cards to sell to the public they wouldn’t go for a Pokemon card. If you wanna print high quality fake cards to make money, might as well make the ones that bring in the most money right? High end baseball cards come to mind.

If a fake does go through to PSA, the owner could use their financial guarantee to get his/her money back.

For most people in the hobby, a fake is easily distinguishable. However if you are new to the hobby and wants to buy a high end card and are unsure, you can always ask anyone that has more experience handling cards. Pokemon fakes are still in very bad quality.

2 Likes

I don’t, but that is what i am saying, if he can make something like that, imagine what people could do with the right equipment. I am aware that PSA go through an aging-of-the-card process when they grade cards and many other things. “look good to the untrained eye” “look bad from a distance” “quality is bad”, if those are the best reasons why i shouldn’t worry, then i just became more worried, because all that can quickly be changed. If you sat with a bank and asked for a loan so you could invest in cards, and they asked you: How can we be sure that they cant be faked, and you said: They look crap and the quality is crap, i’m pretty sure they wouldn’t even lend you a penny. Prices have grown so much that many people might take a loan because its an better investment than other “alternative investments” such as wine, paintings etc.

Again, i’m asking from a neutral point of view. It is my only interest that the market keeps rising.

Chok i definitely agree with you. I would also fake other cards first before touching Pokemon due to the prices. But whoever pays large amounts for Pokemon now, pay the price expecting the market to continue growing. At some point it might hit prices where it would be more interesting to fake a pokemon card than fake a baseball card. Thats why i think it is a healthy discussion to have.

Who are these people, where is this magic equipment coming from?

what separates a counterfeit card from a genuine card? the quality

I’m not trying to convince a bank to give me a loan to invest in Pokemon cards, it sounds like you might be though lol

Jayden “counterfeittcg” Toretto, is that you back for more attention?

4 Likes

Acebren, thank you for your comments. Think you have a bit too much personal interest to continue this conversation at a neutral, mature level.

1 Like

??

I’ll take that as you conceding the discussion to me

Take it whichever way you like. I appreciate your input. Thank you.

Oh good, someone coming in with dooms day scenarios, asking to be talked off a cliff and when given the answers they’re looking for go for the double down into the dooms day. You’re right @investingincards, it’s inevitable, you should never invest in Pokémon cards. Clearly the high end cards that have been certified real in proprietary cases with millions of people interested in them and the company that makes them protects the intellectual property and has a legal team that’s ready to take out anyone who tries to create fakes of them, and is willing to pay for any fake discovered to have been placed into one of their cases, are no match to someone putting in hundreds of thousands of dollars just to fake cards worth five figures that as soon as they’re discovered their whole opporation would be terminated and they would spend significant time in a federal prison.

Clearly, there’s nothing to protect anyone in this hobby. You should just stay out of it, and collect my little pony instead.

Hi Cullers.

Thank you for your response to my thread. With a message like that, surely you have some sort of doubt about the future of the hobby, since you are reacting this way. I asked a simple question, that i was hoping to discuss with the forum, if not here, then where? I will gladly take my question somewhere else if possible. If i have offended you in any way, i am sorry. I understand these cards mean everything to some people, and questioning their future might not be easy for some to talk about, but i believe it is important to get more views on it, than just agreeing with everyone saying that the hobby is safe. Thank you for your suggestion about collecting my little pony, i have no interest in that. Still hope you will be willing to discuss the subject at some point.

2 Likes

Fakes are a problem for mainly new collectors. I had a guy the other day show me a fake hyper rare charizard. His girlfriend unknowingly bought it off an American who initially bought it from China.

The Chinese fakes are the closest to a real card, and by closest, about the physical distance from China to the US. For any seasoned collector they are laughable.
The Chinese fakes do effect businesses. They have taken some of the bulk market from modern.

My ultimate worry with fake cards isn’t necessarily they will improve, but the purchases will have a compound effect over time. There are people who pay real money for fakes and think they are legitimate or have value. E4 is pretty insulated from this reality, but there is more ignorance and misinformation in the hobby than ever. That is what I worry will compound. Sour experiences can permanently deter people from staying with a hobby they would otherwise enjoy.

1 Like

Welcome to the forums, and sorry if you feel like the forums are offending you in some way, but I assure you no one is doing that.
If you browse the forums enough, you would know that each member types in its own way, and while Cullers may seem like he has a hidden agenda based on his “reaction”, I can assure you he’s just replying normally with informative posts with a hint of sarcasm.

The main point he’s trying to make is the importance in what he’s saying. No counterfeiter would try that hard into faking Pokemon cards because there’s no financial benefit to it.

Pokemon cards are very expensive and hard to fake, and it would be a hefty investment for making counterfeit cards, let alone making fake PSA counterfeit pokemon cards. Furthermore, anyone who has intermediate experience in the hobby can tell a “good” fake card instantly, and anybody who has beginner experience in the hobby can tell a “bad” fake card instantly. Seriously, those are laughably bad. I would say the times when you require more professional experience is if the case has been tampered, scratches on the card after encapsulating, card trimming, fake 1st edition stamps, etc. No one has yet to be stumped by a 100% fake counterfeit card as of yet in the Pokemon hobby.

However, let’s assume your scenario where Team Rocket decided to fund a counterfeiter with a 100% perfect PSA Pokemon Card replicating machine. This would entail:

1. A perfect factory print machine that prints perfect pokemon cards that are in the 1999s (since those are where most of the valuable card lies), which already is different from current printing standards of Pokemon cards since 1999s Pokemon TCG was controlled by WOTC and the illustrator etc. has different backs/probably different printing standards than what they have now.

2. A perfect PSA card encapsulating device.

3. The right cardboard stock for Pokemon Cards

4. The right plastic cases for PSA encapsulations

5. Having the correct serial numbers for the grade you’re assigning to the card.

Now let’s just assume you are still trying to make a profit but your front cost is sunk and not counted for since it’s sponsored by Team Rocket.

You made yourself a perfect Pokemon Illustrator.

The question now is, how many can you sell before people start being suspicious of what you have? Not even counting the fact that red flags would be sprung almost immediately as soon as a rare trophy card pops up, but what are the chances of you trying to sell to a low knowledgeable collector who is willing to drop like 50k+ on a card? The answer is, probably at most 1. Not only would it be suspicious to already pass off 1 PSA high end card, but passing off 2 with the same serial is practically impossible. That would mean that you would need a database log of all PSA cert numbers of high end trophy cards, which not only by itself is a hard feat, but eventually you will bump into a collector who can see that their card is being sold and alert PSA for counterfeiting.

Furthermore, top trophy cards like the Big 3 trophy cards and illustrators have such a small population that even if you manage to have all serial numbers of them in the PSA database and made perfect duplications that you can sell, there is a finite amount that you can sell. I would say all the big end trophy cards ALL TOGETHER have less than a population of 100. Even including all charizards, or any valuable cards worth more than 5000$, this population at the moment is less than 1000 in the PSA database.

Now after all this complicated scheme, how much money can you make off of all this? A few million? Now if you were willing to spend all this time and money to invest into this scheme, why the hell would you choose Pokemon and not just make much easier counterfeits…like money. In the USA alone, counterfeit money circulated every year is between 70 to 200 million dollars, meaning if you invested all this scheme to fake money instead, it would not only be much more profitable, but much less detectable than fake Pokemon cards. The market for Pokemon cards is so much less liquid than money, and much easier to detect as the collectors who buy these cards usually know what they are doing when collecting and buying.

Now another question you would probably have in regards to this is what if Pokemon cards increase in value, won’t fakes be more prominent? Now that is a definite possibility, but it’s still not even close to happening, because:

1. Fakes are still super easy to detect, as no one can replicate perfect fakes even close to the quality of it being detectable
  2. There are other collectibles that are much easier to fake (like yugioh) for mass print
  3. No fake pokemon card has yet been approved by PSA (aside from 1 I think, but it was pointed out immediately and PSA paid the buyer back in full)
  4. PSA regularly updates its cases, so counterfeiters need to catch up to that too. If you are wary, just buy cards in new cases.

After even all this, you can still point to stuff like “but this painting has been faked”, so it will hit Pokemon cards etc. etc.
With painting or other high end collectibles now worth millions, if Pokemon reaches that high, counterfeiters will also face even much harder challenges in delivering these counterfeit goods.

1. Selling counterfeit goods worth millions when caught guarantees you jail time/fraud, or being sued
  2. Paintings are backed by nobody, since the artist died so there isn’t much copyright infringement issues whereas Pokemon cards are backed by at least two Public corporations that most likely wont bankrupt anytime soon so prepared to be sued to oblivion if you make a huge Pokemon counterfeit scandal happen
  3. These PSA cards are heavily tracked by the community and unlike older collectibles prior to the internet age, these can be pointed back to select owners and pretty hard to pass off without alerting someone in the community.
  4. Factory created items are much harder to fake without the proper equipment, and those equipment are usually worth millions. With two companies at play here, Pokemon cards and PSA encapsulation, you will be doubling the cost of capital in order to make these fakes.

I hope this answers your question thoroughly. I know you are trying to judge most of posts by emotional reasoning behind the posts, but some of us are reacting harshly not because it’s an emotional reaction, but more because most of us know about the nuances of creating perfect fakes and we have this great community that can help us detect them when we are unsure about a card being authentic or not. If you stay around, not only will you realize how fast news spread around about high end cards, but you will learn a lot about authenticity and other parts of getting the Pokemon collecting experience. Of course, feel free to ask if you are unsure about a card!

Of course counterfeiting is affecting the Pokemon market in some way, but if you’re specifically worried about counterfeiting in regards to high end cards, this is much less likely to pass off. Most counterfeits nowadays go for the current “standard” cards, and those cards are pretty low quality and mainly trick beginner collectors.

11 Likes

Youre not interested in discussing anything. If you were you would have taken the points I had said and mentioned them despite the sarcasm. 95% sure this is just a troll.

1 Like

What @nuttun explained is spot on!

I remember when I made my first sale, one of my old friends was like, “isn’t it easier for people to just make the cards”. The fake cards are only slightly decent on scans because you can’t actually touch them. Similar to someones profile picture on the beach, with the perfect angle, standing next to a celebrity; and in real life they live with their parents (no offense to anyone).

Basically the current state of fakes are a joke for seasoned collectors. But there are plenty of new collectors being scammed in the $1-100 range.

IF the worst case scenerio occurred where someone sold a fake illustrator for 100k, they would be prosecuted. I don’t think people in Pokemon understand when real money is involved, so is real action. Here are a couple instances of counterfeits in sports. You can dig deeper and find other cases. I remember one in the news last year, a business was prosecuted for selling a million in fake autographs. The only difference in sports is the price point and ubiquity. Pokemon is there in price for the high end, especially the highest end trophies, but luckily it is still niche and requires a learning curve.

In short, if people want to keep upping the ante with fakes, the word “illegal” won’t sound like an overly serious guy on a forum, it will be what the judge tells you before sentencing.

4 Likes

I gave them the benefit of the doubt anyways and just assumed that he/she may be a paranoid but highly interested Pokemon collector, and perhaps I can just copy paste my message next time someone asks this question :stuck_out_tongue:

@smpratte: Thanks for the further elaboration and providing examples Scott! Funny how we share common friends who ask the same “counterfeiting/make your own card” questions! Also I’m super regretting not getting ditto as my username and instead chose a palindrome :confused:

2 Likes