Are you guys worried about fakes? (serious question)

Hello 1steditionsniper here, I have been a vintage collector for quite some time now, Im just worried that eventually technology will be soooo good, that you wont be able to tell the diff between a fake printed card and authentic vintage, for instance we have seen sooooo many vintage 1st edition fossil boxes comes out of nowhere the last few years, Id hate to see one day that they are being reprinted somewhere. what do you guys think?

Well a fake box and a fake card are different worlds

1 Like

you don’t think someone is capable of creating both?

I havent seen a good looking fake card, but I have seen a good looking fake box many times

3 Likes

Welcome @1stEditionSniper. As far as fakes, its always about finding tells. 99.9% of fakes out there have tells, the .1% that doesnt have any tells is both too insignificant to cause huge worries and at that point would be almost real enough to not be worried about. As long as you are watching out and comparing, most fakes can be identified through quick methods.

1 Like

What are the methods? Might be a good guide for when buying online and not able to hold the hard in hand

yes but everyone answering now is talking about the current state of fakes, but with AI scanning and increased technology whats stopping some TCG company knockoff in southeast asia from reprinting vintage cards in 5-10 years from now?

I’ll see about making an article on E4 when im not in the midst of a crafting spree. If you dont want to wait, most of the details about tells i threw onto reddit’s r/IsMyPokemonCardFake sub when i made it. Should still be stickied as a guide :man_shrugging:.

2 Likes

Printing methods, cardstock qualities, ink changes, even selling history plays into high quality fakes. Cant flood the market and be suspicious but also cant hold onto everything forever or you wont make your investment money back. Much easier to make something lower quality thats just barely passable for a quick flip.

so the huge amount of 1st edition fossil boxes that we have seen flood the market the last 2 years ,you think are legit ? everytime you open Instagram and see pokemon collectors they are showing boxes and boxes of fossil 1st edition and the box looks brand new like it was just printed last week not store in a basement for 25 years

lets not even mention the COUNTLESS box openings of vintage cards on whatnot every single day, like how many of these were really made ?!

As @wisewailmer said, boxes and cards are much different worlds for authentication. Also i have no idea what is on instagram since ive never had one nor do i follow any pokemon related things on the minimal social media i do use. Definitely dont watch openings or whatnots.

So maybe you can clarify your question more to help get a more appropriate answer?

well if you dont watch these hundreds of boxes of vintage being opened or see the posts all over social media how can you even know what your talking about?

Why do i need to do that to be able to tell if a card is fake?

2 Likes

youre talking about low budget fakes, im talking about high quality reprints that are probably happening and people like you ignore it because they dont know about it or refuse to believe it because they have collected forever and dont want it to be true

last week on whatnot alone they opened 17 vintage 1999 first edition fossil boxes. this is happening every single day. and im suppose to believe these are from 1999 lmao

And yet theres people like you who believe it is true regardless of lack of evidence. As i said, maybe clarify what you are asking about so you wont get answers that you deem not relevant.

1 Like

its pretty obvious the question stated then people like you start talking about how to spot a fake, like duh obviously I knw how to spot a low budget fake noone asked that, im talking about the countless vintage boxes that are being opened out of nowhere but yet you ignore that with “I dont watch those” lmao

Well it doesnt seem the obvious when a newcomer pops up on a forum demanding answers to vague questions and doesnt seem to be very polite to responses.

Am i worried about 17 boxes of 1st edition fossil? Am i worried there is a conspiracy happening currently? Am i worried about future conspiracies?

No on all 3. You have a nice day, hope to one day see your collection shared.

3 Likes

well you should be worried.