High price card replicas

Nah. Replicas ONLY make sense for expensive cards, basically cases where you can’t ever see yourself owning a card but want to appreciate the art. I see the appeal

2 Likes

The real question is why does someone feel the need for a fake? Many people want to own things that can’t, it’s how they cope with it that shows who they are.

Buying a fake is deluding oneself embracing that you don’t have it is facing reality.

Don’t delude yourself, it doesn’t make anyone better or lesser to own a Pokémon card. Practicing delusion on the other hand…

6 Likes

Fakes are readily available and yet trophy cards continue to set record prices. The market values fakes accordingly. They are irrelevant among collectors in term of monetary value. No argument there. THat doesn’t mean they can’t play a role in people’s lives outside collecting.

I know people who print Alpha and Beta cards so they can play vintage magic. Should they be banned from doing this in the name of collectors? Why should they pay thousands to play vintage magic if they can do it for free? Clearly, the market does not value the fakes, and authentic cards already are valued.

Peace and harmony can exists within fakes in a hobby. Music, art, books video games. Many times it is a beautiful thing.

3 Likes

For my binders I keep track of all the trophy card/extremely expensive cards I need; however, I don’t leave a blank space in my binder for them. If I ever purchase a card that goes for 10k+ it’s worth rearranging my binder for :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Nailed it

1 Like

Is this a fake? Yes. Should people be called “fake monet fans” for hanging it in their bedroom? No.

Monet Replica/Fake.

2 Likes

Nobody called someone who collects fake a fake fan. You can be a fan all you want. The harshest thing said was fake collector, which to be honest people who collect fakes are a fake collector, they’re literally collecting fakes.

5 Likes

You wouldn’t buy the fake is you were a fake fan :wink:

A fake fan would buy a fake, for a fake fan is a fan of fakes.

7 Likes

I agree. I think doing it in a way where you don’t support fakes being passed off as real, is ok, like printing it yourself for yourself only. Even on an uncut page full of cards you don’t have, as a leaflet in the back.

I literally just love the artwork on the cards. I think it’s cool to know what those cards look like even though I will never obtain them, and I would like it to be an experience when looking through what I do have. Like, when taking a friend through my collection I can say ‘and these are the $20,000+ cards I don’t have. Look how cool they are’.

This doesn’t really make me a ‘fake’ collector. Cause I’m not really ever ‘collecting’ them anyway.

Fake “collector”. Thanks for the correction. If the person claims a fake/replica is real, then it is discredits them as collectors and should be discouraged. But if they admit it is a fake and do not portray it as anything else, then it is beautiful and is a way for Pokemon to add value to people’s lives.

While I agree with your point, and that it could extend to Pokémon collecting, there are some crucial differences.

– The vast majority of fine art paintings are one-ofs, so buyers start with the mind set they will be buying a print or replica if they want a decorative piece like this, as opposed to something like the gold stars we have seen faked lately where there are thousands of each.

– Forgery is still a big issue with art. When someone wants a replica “as close as possible” to an original Monet (obviously not a painting like this, but a lesser known or unsurfaced work), brush strokes, frame, signature and all, how can you tell if they want it for their bedroom or to try and sell as real?

– I do think people here are dismissive of the desire to own a nice quality fake. It’s none of your business if someone prints a proxy for their personal collection, and it happens far more often than you’d think. For all the talk about appreciating pokemon card art, people should be more understanding not everyone has or wants five figures to drop to obtain a trophy card art. There’s no need to be a snob, everyone here knows you have the real thing. As cards grow in value, this is inevitable to continue.

The problem is that a desire for high quality fakes can fuel a market with more nefarious intentions than someone wanting to frame their favorite Mewtwo art which happens to be SSB.

I like the magnet suggestion earlier. Printing just the art and not the whole card onto nice quality card stock with a holo background is another idea. That stretched Monet canvas is clearly not real to the naked eye… The best thing would be “fakes” that look nice but would never be confused with an actual card. Heck, a canvas printing service for cards could be a replacement, or print your favorite card as a mega jumbo.

4 Likes

This is also why owning a silver bible is good =)

4 Likes

Another alternative is getting a custom card done by an actual artist as a placeholder. This way you’re supporting people in the hobby and have an original design rather than a fake card.

6 Likes

Fake is fake… Not owning a card gives the sense of it being a valuable asset and something of true value. Owning a proxy would just make that even more evident while damaging the hobby in my opinion.

1 Like

I would never buy fake cards. It’s not even about the aspect of owning a fake card (if someone is happy looking at their fake copy of their chase card, I see zero harm in it). But you have to be aware that with every purchase of a fake card, you provide the seller with more money to produce more fake cards (which by itself is 100% illegal - a felony). And eventually, someone will try to sell the fake as original to naive or new collectors for hundreds or thousands of dollars. You most definitely don’t want to support this scam life cycle.

4 Likes

I understand the point and it’s valid, but again these replicas have a chance to hit the open market, so it’s a risk

1 Like

A further comparison with fine art replications –

Obviously these paintings are far more intricate and worth seeing in person than a pokemon card scan vs a card in real life. A stretched canvas will never do a Monet justice.

The good thing about art is that there ARE opportunities to see some of these works in person. Many of the world’s greatest pieces are in museums free to the public.

If you consider your Pokémon cards to be art pieces, there is no equivalent for Pokémon that is physical instead of virtual. No official Pokémon card museum exhibition.

Buying fake cards helps support the people that are selling them. Not to mention the majority of people don’t buy them for binders. They buy them to scam new comers which is horrible for the hobby!

@qwachansey , I agree. It does create nefarious opportunity(Good word, btw). But I’d argue that nefarious activity is all around us in all walks of life and will always find opportunity, we cannot control the world around us. Atleast, that’s how I view the world. It may be that fakes never achieve the same properties as originals and so fakes will never be confused with some scrutiny.

Best we can do is trust and pay for services to mitigate the nefarious activity, such as PSA and BGS or even Pokemon collecting experts. Trusting and supporting companies to determine authentic copies is what makes a happy medium to exists.

I also believe selling fakes as authentic is theft and wrong.

For the record I don’t own any fakes.