Hidden in the holo!

Hi guys, I consider myself to be a pretty observant person… especially of my own possessions… or so I thought. It turns out I have owned a card for years and also known about it and adored it for 20 years without knowing what was hidden in the holo!

Enter Dark Persian… I love the clean dark holo and only recently did I see an image of one that illuminated the surface under the holo enough to see this big jabroni hiding in there as none other than Giovanni himself!

Am I alone in this gap in knowledge?

Please share other gems from your collections or just cards you love with something hidden in the holo!

What I normally see:

What is sneaking around in there!

14 Likes

That is so incredibly cool wow.

1 Like

Took me a while, too. And I was equally blown away as you :wink:
Nice find!

1 Like

It’s a lot easier to spot (or rather, harder to miss) on the original non-Holo Japanese print of the art;

Fun fact; It’s so hard to spot through the Holo that the Bulbapedia page for this card erroneously states that Giovanni was removed from the artwork for the English print.

6 Likes

Those tricksters!

Maybe I should not be a solo English collector bro and I wouldn’t look a fool!

Well count me as blown away, awesome find!

1 Like

I also had this card in my youth and it took me a while before I realized that. :blush: Another thing that comes to mind is that the Team Rocket holo Dark Weezing almost looks non-holo. I actually traded a non-Holo of mine for the Weezing, where we both thought it was a non-Holo. Only later on I noticed the Weezing was in fact holofoil.

This entire thread comes to mind. (As well as the one that inspired it.)

Greetz,
Quuador

2 Likes

For some reason I thought this was common knowledge. Haha. I love it when people make discoveries like these though. The Persian is definitely the sneakiest of the Rocket card backgrounds with Dark Slowbro and Dark Magneton being a close second:

Reminds me too of Japanese Sabrina’s Gengar with the graveyard in the background:

6 Likes

I think there are Dark Weezings out there with a darker ink layer (or something like that). I had a couple, and for one, like you described, I could barely even make out the foil (had to have very specific lighting to see it), whereas the other was pretty clear. I lined up the two Weezings and it turns out the one with the barely visible holo seemed to have darker inking (the words looked more bold-ish and the colors were much deeper).

2 Likes