Help with collecting the 'banned'-response cards

Hello,

Multi-point thread, but as part of my collecting card art never released in Japan, I am going back to collect the alternate art for the ‘banned’ Japanese cards.

I have gone through E4 as well as a dozen other sites in compiling this, but my research would seem to indicate this is the full list:

• Jynx (Base Set)
  • Jynx (Base Set 2)
  • Grimer (Team Rocket)
  • Arcade Game (Neo Genes9s)
  • Card-Flip Game (Neo Genesis)
  • Misty’s Tears (Gym Heroes)
  • Sabrina’s Gaze (Gym Heroes)
  • Sabrina’s Gengar (Gym Heroes)
  • Sabrina’s Jynx (Gym Heroes)
  • Sabrina’s Jynx (Gym Challenge)
  • Magmortar (Dragons Exalted)

Note that I have not included cards like Koga’s Ninja Trick and Moo-Moo Milk because their re-released art eventually made it to Japan.

That said, two quick questions:

1. It would seem there is also a Legendary Collection Jynx, but is it coloured differently than Base and Base 2? The art is the same, but if all three prints are indeed noticeably different in colour, I am interested in them as variants.

2. Apart from the likes of eBay (where I can get a card for $3 and then pay $22 per for shipping to Japan), is there a better place to get as many of these at once - and reasonably - from a single source?

Thank you in advance! The list above would seem to be authoritative - in line with my standards of never seeing Japanese release - but in the event I have missed something else ‘banned’, I would be delighted to know.

Kind regards

1 Like

The Base Set 2 and Legendary Collection Jynx aren’t coloured differently specifically but different print runs can lead to some variation. Even within the same set. I wouldn’t personally count that as being different artwork though. I have taken a photo of my two cards together for you to see. The Legendary card is perhaps slightly darker but it’s also a reverse holo which changes the colour a little. Sorry I don’t have a non-holo copy or a scanner for a more detailed look. I hope that helps.

5 Likes

No, that is of great help! Thank you for the photos.

There is a noticeable transition from dark-purple in Base to lighter purple in Base 2, but I had seen one side-by-side of them and Legendary that made all three look like different shades. The discrepancy seems to have been in photo quality as opposed to a conscientous colour change on the part of WotC.

Like you said, it is not different art, but the fact it is a different print (yet even that is something of a grey area) makes it seem worthwhile to pick up. Thank you again! At the least, you saved me having to buy a Legendary Jynx!

Regards

1 Like