Help us find the artists on these pins w/ exclusive art

Hey guys! I came across these awesome pins on an old post from Pratte and had to have them. My complete set just came through and I think it would be really cool to put together which artist drew each Pokemon!

Some seem obvious like Ooyama’s Raichu & Komiya’s Golduck but I’m not that knowledgeable of the early TCG artists.

Many of you are experts and I could really use your help, below are pictures of every single pin in the set (151 total). As we decide on some of these I’ll start filling out a list or doc below.

imgur.com/a/91cSc2U

5 Likes

Abra

Aerodactyl - Kusube

Alakazam

Arcanine

Articuno

Beedrill

Bellsprout

Blastoise

Bulbasaur

Butterfree

Caterpie

Chansey

Charizard - Kusube

Charmander

Charmeleon

Clefable

Clefairy - Komiya

Cloyster

Cubone

Dewgong

Diglett

Ditto

Dodrio

Doduo

Dragonair

Dragonite

Dratini

Drowzee

Dugtrio

Eevee

Electabuzz

Electrode

Exeggcute

Exeggutor

Farfetch’d

Fearow

Flareon

Gastly

Gengar

Geodude

Gloom

Golbat

Goldeen

Golduck - Komiya

Golem

Graveler

Grimer

Growlithe

Gyarados

Haunter

Hitmonchan

Hitmonlee

Horsea

Hypno

Ivysaur

Jigglypuff

Jolteon

Jynx

Kabuto

Kabutops

Kadabra

Kakuna

Kangaskhan

Kingler

Koffing

Krabby

Lapras - Kunihiko Yuyama

Lickitung

Machamp - Kizuki

Machoke

Machop

Magikarp

Magmar

Magnemite - Ooyama

Magneton

Mankey

Marowak

Meowth

Metapod

Mew

Mewtwo - Sugimori

Moltres

Mr. Mime

Muk

Nidoking

Nidoqueen

Nidoran(F)

Nidoran(M)

Nidorina

Nidorino

Ninetales

Oddish - Komiya

Omanyte

Omastar

Onix

Paras

Parasect

Persian

Pidgeot

Pidgeotto - Ooyama

Pidgey

Pikachu

Pinsir

Poliwag

Poliwhirl

Poliwrath

Ponyta

Porygon

Primeape

Psyduck - Kizuki/Tanaka

Raichu - Ooyama

Rapidash

Raticate

Rattata

Rhydon

Rhyhorn

Sandshrew

Sandslash

Scyther - Kimiya Masago

Seadra

Seaking

Seel

Shellder

Slowbro

Slowpoke

Snorlax

Spearow

Squirtle

Starmie

Staryu

Tangela

Tauros

Tentacool

Tentacruel

Vaporeon

Venomoth

Venonat

Venusaur

Victreebel

Vileplume

Voltorb

Vulpix

Wartortle

Weedle

Weepinbell

Weezing

Wigglytuff

Zapdos

Zubat

1 Like

Komiya with Golduck. Kizuki for Psyduck. And maybe Dr. Ooyama for Raichu? Those were the styles I recognized first hand.

Thanks! I started the list. Check the imgur post, I actually put up all 151 pokemon! Maybe you recognize some more?

imgur.com/a/91cSc2U

Not an expert on illustrations by any stretch, but I think the Psyduck looks closer to a Tanaka illustration with the flat design + use of bright pastel colors.

Also in my completely uninformed opinion, I feel like Kizuki is more like the Machamp with the thick outlines + flat design.

But man, some of these are so hard. Do we know that these are all from official Pokemon illustrators? Some of the drawings are just so drastically different from what they did during that time IMO (e.g. Scyther, Articuno, Jolteon).

1 Like

I think i saw earlier before on a Japanese site that listed the artists, not sure anymore. They re-issued these pins again during the 15th anniversary at pokemon center.

These designs are 20 years old and most of the artists that were commissioned on these old back cards have been commissioned on these. I hope i can find that list.

Interesting game… I can only pick out a few artists, and it’s naturally the more obvious ones like Komiya and Ooyama. Definitely think they have done a few more than I picked out in one pass, the bold black outlines seem like all Ooyama and the abstract most likely Komiya. A few below to start:

Pidgeotto - Ooyama
Charizard - Kusube (looks a lot like Lance’s Charizard)
Oddish - Komiya
Clefairy - Komiya
Magnemite - Ooyama

Scyther perhaps looks like Masago to me? Reminds me of Alakazam from Skyridge or Kabutops from Neo Discovery.

I was unsure of Kizuki admittedly. For some reason the Psyduck just reminded me so much of his Slowpoke from the Team Rocket set. You might be right about the Machamp though.

Yeah it did look like all of them were commissioned from the early artists which is why I thought this thread would be so cool. If you can find that list that would be amazing!

I’m adding everyone’s multiple guesses for now too. We can whittle it down over time.

I see a bunch more potential ooyama and komiya since theyre so recognizable, and maybe machop is Nobuyuki Habu? Looks like the EXTRA RULE vending cards with the thick lines

Wigglytuff, Vulpix, Poliwhirl (reminds me of skyridge poliwrath), Chansey, Dragonite

All look like they are done by the same artist and I think it is Naoyo Kimura

1 Like

Looked into it a little, found the original news article during 15th anniversary,

2 sample images:

Mewtwo is done by Sugimori, and Lapras by Kunihiko Yuyama. edit: I saw it was already in the list, oh well.

Still can’t find a list, I think it isn’t there sadly. Asked on Twitter now if some Japanese people know in the community.