Help on grading results

Hi all,

I’ve recently gotten into grading my own raw copies and after a bunch of returns that were pretty spot on in terms of what i was expecting, i’ve gotten some confusing (to me!) 6’s back on some Pika and Mimi promo cards.

Could any of you offer an analysis on why these might have gotten 6’s? Ironically they were the most carefully looked after and submitted of all the cards because i personally love the art.

Thanks, any help appreciated!

D

Pic 4
pic 3
pic2
pic

Can’t tell by pictures of course but you should be able to find it in person. Check for binder ring dents and stuff like that. If you can’t find anything you can send them to me and I’ll examine them for you;)

1 Like

i kinda wish we had a service like this :open_mouth: pay like £1-2 or something small per card and send a few graded cards and have someone like yourself or one of the graded service people like gradedgroudon take a look and offer an opinion on if the card would be worth cracking to re submit.

aint worth doing for just random low value cards but some 9 to 10 jumps are super high and could be worth looking into

2 Likes

Ludkins kind of do this, though, they give you an estimate on what you could get as a result, and then you can decide if you still wish to get the card graded, or cancel the grading process for that card, but they still take some fee for it - I’m pretty sure you can also make them hold onto the ungraded card, until your batch of cards are graded, and get them all shipped back, so you don’t need to pay shipping twice.

4 Likes

I bet it is a smal bend or binder dent that is almost unnoticeable. I had a shadowless zard that was like that. Swore it would be an 8, but came back a 6 and only then did I notice the faintest of bends near the bottom of the card. I had to turn and twist at several angles to pick it up and sometimes couldn’t even find it right away the next time I looked. Flattening the card might have helped in that case.

1 Like

Or PSA was simply just ignorant af with these cards which doesn’t happen very often but definitely happens. I had a holo crystal kabutops come back a 6 one time that I thought was mint. I examined it again when I got it back and it still looked mint with nothing wrong… I sent it back and it came back a 9. This could be the case and is also extremely frustrating because you’re trusting “professionals” to give you an honest grade and you have to pay again to get the grade it should have been the first time. That being said, they are humans and mistakes can be made. I say if you truly believe they deserved better, send them back. Best of luck with these cards!

3 Likes

I’m not precious about this, the cards didn’t cost very much… but i do think what you’re saying is correct on this Matt… there just…isn’t, anything on them… and i checked them so carefully…

Appreciate the feedback everybody - this forum would be a boring place if everybody was just posting “DOES THIS GRADE LOOK RIGHT TO YOU?” but in this case, i just thought it was a bit extreme so wanted y’all opinions.

:heart_eyes:

Send them to me and if I can’t find the problems on those two cards I’ll get them regraded for you for free. Then I’ll share my results here:)

6 Likes

take that deal!

1 Like

Really? OK! I’m in Australia and have followed you and Scott for a long time, would be pretty cool have these back knowing you’ve been involved to be honest!

1 Like

PM me for my address:)
Keep in mind, like I said, if I find why they’re 6s then the deals off.
Either way, you’ll only pay return shipping to Australia,

1 Like

Just want to point out, they have been checked by me.

I couldn’t find anything wrong with them personally.

4 Likes

@casperrawshark,I am in a similar boat. Had a scream Pikachu come back psa 3… Waiting for it to return to see what could possibly earn that grade. I might do a video cracking it live to look it over.

11 Likes

Can’t wait to see that!

@smpratte, sorry to hear that Scott! The ‘3’ scenario sounds even wilder than mine.

Ive always wondered, why dont they give an explanation, even a basic one on why or where the card was deducted points?

1 Like

I do seriously wish that was something they did. Would it be such a hassle to have a preset list of boxes that could simply be checked off as the grading was done? Find an error and check the appropriate boxes… Maybe have a total of 7-10 simple boxes with possible reasons? They wouldn’t be required to point out the flaw, but simply say what the flaw was.

Yea that could raise additional issues, like “where the hell is the flaw they checked?” It could make people feel better or help find issues though. Maybe even make PSA think twice about giving low accidental grades.

No way they’ll change the system to your ideas without a major increase in price…and time delays. No thanks;)
If you’re curious, you can just send it in for review and they will point out the flaws.

1 Like

Is a review the same as a regrade? What if the person reviewing it can’t find any flaws? Then would the fix the grade? Or do you specifically need to pay for a regrade?

Yes, that’s the same thing. If they change the grade there will be no charge.