Heart-warming sale in Korea

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to post a heart-warming story about a recent sale I made.

A few weeks ago I sold my Korean Mewtwo semi-trophy in Korea and it reminded of all the beautiful things that make the Pokémon hobby so special. I’d had the card listed on eBay for a few weeks at an asking price of £2500 when I received a DM from a Korean guy who was really interested in it. We agreed to meet up at a Starbucks - Korean culture is inherently very trustworthy, so I was happy to go along with it!

The buyer didn’t speak a word of English and I didn’t speak a word of Korean, but we didn’t let that get in the way of sharing some photos of our cards and talking about our experiences collecting. In the lead-up to the meeting, he actually texted me to say how nervous he was because I was the first foreigner he was ever meeting up with. Quite sweet. I reassured him that he had nothing to be nervous about! After chatting through our translator apps for a while I handed him the Mewtwo and he handed me the £2500 in cash. We said goodbye and parted ways!

I loved Pokemon as a child, and it was in Seoul, during my first two weeks in government quarantine back in 2020, that I rediscovered my interest for collecting. Stuck in a room with nowhere to go, Logan Paul’s 1st box break brought on all the nostalgia. That set me off and I managed to catch just the very end of Korean booster boxes being priced at around $20. Eventually my interests spilled over into Japanese promos and the rest is history.

I’m now living back in the UK, but I wanted to share this pretty nice exchange to highlight some of the great things of this hobby!

31 Likes