Have you ever sold your collection?

Ouch, man

3 Likes

Never - mine are going to the grave

2 Likes

I sold everything but a few favorites and my Gyarados cards in a binder for $10 at a Garage Sale. This was like in 2010. Sold it to a few tourists from Japan who hadn’t seen English cards before so I’m glad it went to someone who could enjoy it. I sold the bulk of My Yugioh collection right before college for about $500 which I thought was crazy money at the time.

As for the Gyarados collection. I’ve sold bits and pieces that weren’t part of my main collection. Though I almost sold my entire collection on two occasions but decided against it. It feels like it’s now here to stay by and large.

4 Likes

I have only sold bulk. Don’t regret it, yet. If I do it’ll only be because of the money.

The good thing about collecting english set cards is that the majority of what I own could be easily replaced. Not like other items I have that I’d never see again if I decided to sell them. Owning cards like that would make it more difficult.

1 Like

I sold about half my collection in 2018 in order to buy a car for my wife’s business. There are certainly cards I wish I hadn’t parted with, but I’m still very thankful for the experience and how much fun I had rediscovering my collection. The car is still going strong and it was definitely something we needed as we started our marriage together, so I don’t feel bad at all for doing it. Definitely glad I kept some cards though! Haha

9 Likes

So wholesome :face_holding_back_tears:

3 Likes

Yes I’ve sold many collections of different things I liked over the years. The only collection I had regrets about selling is my Lego Star Wars sets. The money went into PokĆ©mon which I don’t regret in the slightest. The time I spent building felt wasted and that’s why I regret selling when looking back at it. I have started slowly building my collection again, however it wont be like it used to be.

For my other collections, I just kept items that would be near impossible for me to get again (signed WWE figures) but I never cared about selling the easier to obtain items. Usually its rationalized in my head since I know what comes out of my other collection, goes into PokƩmon.

I know for a fact if I had not sold off my WWE & Lego collection, I wouldn’t have been able to attend all the regional events I went to last year.

With PokĆ©mon card collecting, I sold off my entire collection once to buy my 1st edition Charizard in 2018 for around 5k and haven’t had any regrets about that considering that its worth 4x that price now.

Now I rarely sell anything unless its for a big card purchase.

3 Likes

Most of the cards ive sold i kinda regret selling to some degree, though i havent sold much. In general, i think cards that are graded i would lean more into selling if i was to, whereas cards in binders, especially my childhood and 2015 collection, are completely off the table

2 Likes

I was thinking about all those sales again this morning, cos I frequently look back and kick myself about it. But trying to look at it from a different perspective, there was like 0 indication in 2012 that there was gonna be any increase/future interest in Pokemon, and it just kinda felt like the world was ā€œdoneā€ with Pokemon, if that makes sense. The proof of that was being able to buy mint condition 1st edition holo Dark Charizards for less than Ā£10. WOTC boxes had definitely increased by then since the early 2000s, but not by much. 1st edition Jungle/Fossil/Rocket were around Ā£150- Ā£250, while Neo boxes were the higher end of that scale. There was simply no indication of growth. I also didn’t put enough effort into finding communities like e4 which could have persuaded me not to sell. Funnily enough, I laugh at the fact that I put sales-hype lines like ā€œlast on eBayā€, ā€œlast anywhere!ā€ And didn’t think to myself, hmm maybe these things are hard to come by and I should hang onto them? It’s one of my personal biggest life lessons which I’ve shared a few times on e4 in other threads, but I just love to bring attention to it because it offers so much perspective.

8 Likes

100% with you - I did similar sales of shinings, gold stars, and crystals back in the day at similar price points. We simply had no idea that interest and prices would pick up and explore the way they did. It def offers perspective man, thanks for sharing.

4 Likes

I sold about half of my graded cards I had accumulated in Oct 2023. Mostly low value things I had graded myself, or dumb purchases over the years. Have I missed having any of them? Not at all. I kept all the ones that I really liked or had a story important to me. Got a decent amount for it all off PWCC. Totally worth it trimming the collection back and focusing it on what is actually important to me.

2 Likes

Sold most of mine from 2018-2019 as we were saving funds for a house. Wish I waited, probably missed out on hundreds of thousands overall, but life moves on and hindsight etc. Some cards I miss that I just won’t pay the insane prices for these days.

3 Likes

I sold some of my favorite cards after I felt the hype was fading. I figured it was a better time than any to sell for some quick profit than any. Boy was I right. I hate that I don’t have those cards anymore, but I’m buying some new cards for my collection that I’ve never had before now, so I’m cool with it. I started collecting Pokemon cards again in 2017, so it was a nice surprise to see basically everything I had purchased a couple years prior skyrocket!

3 Likes

I started collecting by getting a mint binder set of all the gold stars, shinings, and crystal cards. 1st Edition and reverses and all. I traded for everything on PokeGym.

I sold the whole thing in 2013 to go to a music festival. I remember selling about 15 of the gold stars together for $800, and that the Latios star went for $50.

3 Likes

I have never completely sold everything. The closest I have been to this was when my childhood collection was lost due to my family not paying the storage unit fee after we got evicted from our home. I didn’t collect for decades after that.

I collected a ton of graded cards in the mid 2010’s. Couple years back i started selling them off because I didn’t find as much enjoyment as I did with my binders.

Apart from pokemon I have sold off numerous gaming statues so I could fund grail pieces that i had my eye on.

2 Likes

I have slowly been selling off higher value cards in my collection and downsizing the medium and low value stuff as well, and putting that money into one very specific collection (graded eevee cards). At the ā€œendā€, I’ll have two binders and one set of shelves: a National Dex binder, a smaller binder of sentimental cards, and my eevee slabs, and won’t be buying PokĆ©mon cards at all that aren’t Eevees or more pages in the nat dex. It actually feels quite good

3 Likes

I sold off pretty much everything that isn’t old back Japanese.

I grew up with WOTC but over time I’ve just enjoyed the Japanese versions so much more, then you add in the hundreds of exclusive cards/artworks from that time period and it made me really focus on that and don’t see the value of having the same cards in English

2 Likes

Times have gotten a bit rough for me. Missed quite a bit of work due to mental health so I pretty much had to sell all of my old WOTC cards that I had. I still have my slabs and maybe 5 or so cards that I’m keeping for Sentimental value, cards I used in decks.

8 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that, I hope you feel better soon

3 Likes

I had a bunch of base set - neo holos i had collected before the covid boom and ended up trading most of them in to help get some stuff to start my kids collection.
Yes I absolutely regret it he shifts his attention to other things much faster than i do.

I think about and miss my shadowless cards often.

2 Likes