Has PSA *finally* changed their booster pack holder? *update

I remember making this sort of suggestion to Gary a while ago in some thread when he was asking what sort of ways they can change it up! Nice to see they used this sort of idea

Iā€™m not convinced yet. Show me a standard WOTC pack encased and then we can talk.

5 Likes

Do you guys know how PSA factors the small tears on the sides of WOTC boosters? They are so incredibly common, and yet I see PSA 10 packs everywhere (with no side-view pictures offcourse).

1 Like

That case is thiccc

2 Likes

Now they just have to make psa cases specifically sized for English cards and a different plastic mold for Japanese cards.

My Japanese cards seem to move around in the case and it annoys me. I wish they were at least sleeved inside the case (or at least would like this as an option).

1 Like

Is it possible they only do it for cards containing 5 or less cards for now? Or maybe the people sending it in send it in as ā€˜sealed promoā€™ instead of booster pack?

Anyway, I have seen these PSA cases before for PokƩmon POP packs, which were on eBay back in June:

I also mentioned back then I hope these would be the new PSA cases for sealed packs and promos, but Iā€™ve seen sealed promos later on return in the cases they used for Jumbo cards (so they were moving around like crazyā€¦). I think this was in one of TCA Gamingā€™s video, but not sure anymore.

If they make these cases standard for booster packs and sealed promos, that would be great. But thus far I have the feeling theyā€™re just randomly testing it outā€¦ Then again, almost no one grades packs due to their terrible folded cases, so Iā€™m not entirely sure.

Greetz,
Quuador

4 Likes

I have a fan club porygon that slide up and down and left to right. So much so that I can hear it clang on the sides. I think it is too much and want to recase it but Iā€™m not sure if it will help. Most of my other japanese cards are fine.

This is what i think tooā€¦

This case doesnā€™t look the same as the one in the OPā€™s link. Your image appears to be a normal rectangular opening in the case while the OPā€™s example has flared ends near the crimps.

2 Likes

@c0ll3ct0r, I donā€™t think PSA deducts points for those since they are on almost every WOTC pack, at least that Iā€™ve seen. Iā€™ve owned a few PSA 10 packs with those little air holes.

1 Like

Thanks, thatā€™s good to know. Iā€™ll definitively grade my packs if this is indeed the new holder.

1 Like

Great, now I wish to see somebody crack an old PSA 10 pack, send It back and see it graded a 9 because the flaps have been folded.

8 Likes

If the previously folded pack gets a 10, their grading standards are laughable. If it gets a lower grade, they devalue all their previously graded packs that collectors paid premium prices for.
Itā€™s a glorious dumpster fire with no good solution.

PSA pack grading must die so CGC can step in and start the whole thing new from the ground up.

7 Likes

Thatā€™s exactly the point I wanted to make. I donā€™t really see a clean solution for them to get out of this mess.

1 Like

Any pack PSA previously graded is just going to be recased in the exact same grade regardless of any previous folds. PSA is never going to admit folding damaged the pack and pay out any kind of value difference. If you crack a PSA 10 pack youā€™re just plain stupid or just want to find out the hard way they are not going to give it a 10 again.

Can anyone outline the parameters for a pack grading scale? I think most people just copy the grade value from cards without considering what even are the parameters for a psa 10 pack.

I personally am just after the protection.

3 Likes

I havenā€™t graded any packs (yet) and only collect Japanese, but these are some of things I look for when considering pack condition:

• Top & bottom foil crimp straightness/folds/waviness

• Lack of ripples along the body of the pack

• Bends/crease in the body of the pack, where the cards have pressed against the foil

• Wear/rubbing in the ā€˜shouldersā€™ from the cards moving up/down within the pack

• General scratches/scuffs on the foil

• Foil spine imprint from packs being stacked on each other

• Checkering pattern in top/bottom/spine foil

• Alignment of the art/text elements, it can be shifted vertically and horizontally

• Definition of the art/text, can be blurry

• Hole in the top foil intact

Itā€™s been on my mind to make a thread about defining/assessing pack condition.

2 Likes

But that was true even with the old case,

Absolutely. But with the wider buyer pool induced by new, better cases there could be an influx of said reseals.

1 Like

Yeah. Itā€™s a shame. I get asked all the time whether to collect sealed product and I have to say steer clear. The fakes are getting too good.

1 Like