Halo 3 Xbox 360 Servers Shutting Down Today (1/13/2022)

My two beloved franchises are Pokémon and Halo. I can always enjoy the vintage Pokémon experience whenever I want by myself, or with others on E4. I love Halo just as much, but a large part of it was an experience of my growing up. For the better part of a decade its been trapped in a time capsule.

This one is hitting me. I am not overly emotional, but I am sentimental. I am grateful that with Pokémon this has not, and practically couldn’t happen as the full and true experience from over 20 years ago can be in my pocket will be exactly the same.

I always wanted to get the double kill with a spartan laser achievement. I wanted to do it this year, but unfortunately last track of the dates.

Anybody have stories or fond memories to share for Halo 3?

This story is very sweet. Some randoms in a lobby helped a guy get his final achievement two days ago.

Cheers to you all and the memories and experiences we share.

Sorry if sentences are incomplete I had to throw this together quickly while at work.

8 Likes

I saw this last night and was tough to watch. Halo 2-3 were unparalleled. I know the franchise still exists, but that 2 & 3 were like 90s pokemon, something special was happening. I played both religiously. Loved everything from stickies to finding new super bounces. I miss how everyone was playing and you could just meet someone and get their gamer tag. That was such a fun time.

5 Likes

Can you still play on Xbox 1 - halo master collection?

Halo 3 is a great game, so many incredible multiplayer maps

Halo 3 was my original FPS game in middle school and high school and still my favorite through today. I’m glad Master Chief Collection exists to play more of it these last few years. I always remember coming home from school on Fridays and being excited for the special playlist to see what mode my friends and I would play all Friday night. Infection was my favorite. All the custom maps people made were amazing. I remember buying a premium version of Halo Wars just to get a DLC pack for Halo 3. Vidmaster achievements were also a really fun challenge to get that Recon armor. I wish we could get that feeling back with the new game with exciting and challenging goals to reach for.

1 Like

Yes. So it’s not all gone. But still a symbolic end to an era.

1 Like

yeah and you can play on steam too I think !

1 Like

My friends and I played Halo 3 online weekly in high school for nearly 2 years. It came out our freshman year, some of the homerooms even had tournaments at school. I bought an Xbox 360 exclusively for Halo 3, and my friends joked with me it was my $300 Halo Machine. I didn’t own another game for quite a while.

In college, stumbled upon it again, and my roommates and I would play until 3am on weekends. I was president of a student group in college, and ended up with 2 platters of extra Jimmy John’s sandwiches after an event. I brought them home and joked we had to play Halo until we finished the sandwiches. I think we played from 8pm until 8am the next day, then I went to class lol. Such a great memory.

I’m sad to hear it won’t be supported anymore. Made it to level 44. Always wanted to become a Brigadier, never quite made it :blush:

3 Likes

Well, looks like they shut off the servers about 2 hours ago.

Wake me when you need me…

1 Like

Surprised it was up this long. I missed the whole Halo ‘craze’ back in the day since I had a PS2 instead. I also played a lot of PC games back then as well, like Starcraft and Warcraft. Fun times for sure no matter what you had it seems.

Think Reach has gone too. RIP, great memories.

1 Like

@smpratte , so true. I remember evening news was covering when the game was publicly shown and it’s release. I’ve heard it was the game that broke gaming into the mainstream.

This is what was shown on the broadcast. I was just watching the evening news with my mom as a kid when I saw it. It’s a live reaction of the reveal of Halo 2 at E3 2003. The audience reaction when they show dual wielding and Chief hijacking a ghost captures the magic you mention. The ghost hijacking is at 6:40, if you’re curious. The crowd just roars with excitement.

E3 2003

Halo 3 is incredible, I still watch it on YouTube. I grew up during the MLG era too, and although I was primarily a Melee player, that era of early e-sports is so nostalgic for me.

This is a throwback. I used to play Halo 3 religiously with friends back in the day.

The end of an era…

1 Like

i still play H3 religiously on MCC and very happy it’s alive and well. Not a single FPS has come close this game for me.

2 Likes

Chris Puckets calls were iconic.

1 Like

True. I now realize how grateful I am for MCC as it is preserving these works of art. In some ways better than ever.

Such great memories with Halo 1-3. Particularly the first Halo for me as it was the first time I had experienced playing with that many people at once through system link.

Sad to see the servers shut off. Although, the new Halo is the best since 3 and has so far been very impressive. Some of those cutscenes are epic. Excited to see the updates for it in future days.

2 Likes

Thankful for MCC. I’m more of a halo 1 guy myself and its amazing that I can still jump on and play it online to this day.

1 Like

Playing Halo 2 until 3am in the summer before high school, with 7 friends I met online in big team battle… arguably some of the most carefree fun days of my life.

3 Likes

Very cool how our personal memories and experiences vary across the original 3 games(and reach, I suppose). Thanks for sharing them.