Graded Gem - UK Graders - No communication

Thanks for all the replies.

Some really helpful responses here that have put my mind at ease - especially those who have dealt with Connor & Tom before. For those who put genuine comments - they were very helpful and have alleviated any anxiety.

For those who chose to not read what I wrote and give me grief because I was complaining about turn around times - that wasn’t the point of my post. I just wondered if it was normal to have no communication from the middle man service - even in light of PSA being closed.

I think possibly I didn’t phrase my question or concern well, but do think some members could be a little less hostile to new members - asking questions which may be obvious to them, but not others.

Thanks for the genuine responses though - I’ll hold tight and hope for an update soon.

4 Likes

Ditto. I accepted at the time I wouldnt see my cards until 2022 but there were only one or two cards i’d graded to sell whereas most of them were graded for my personal collection so I dont really mind.

1 Like

I haven’t used GG but they seem like genuine guys. A lot of people have been slating them on Facebook but I think everyone just need to be patient.

I’m hoping to use them once they re open. I hope they have a walk-in option as I don’t think I will be sending my cards in the post!

Yea all the complaints are about turnaround times XD like Gradedgem can speed up the process. Bunch of whiney snowflakes with zero patience. These idiots wind me up as they clearly are tapped in the head.

Can understand peoples concerns when the last update was 7 weeks ago… don’t see why they couldn’t have just put a post or short video out at least once a month to keep people’s minds at ease

Hopefully they can get back to making more videos again soon as I really enjoyed their content and returns videos :blush:

1 Like

i got some of my initial may submissions back couple weeks ago. when they had their email update system the others were at the final stage, but i have not heard anything back since. They seem to have gone completely quiet- which seems odd although im not worried.
my personal theory is since the change up to psa and current closure, the gradedgem team are re-evaluating the future direction of there company , hence the new company registration. maybe they are considering starting there own uk grading company , based on some inside knowledge- who knows!

1 Like

I’m not sure how any middleman service can/will survive this PSA closure if they are legit company, vs a 1 man operation out of his garage with no dealer contract

3 Likes

Forget about the undeserved asshole comments you received. I don’t think you were being particularly unreasonable. Wanting to get updates about your cards, especially when middle man services tiers don’t fit in PSA’s CTD, is perfectly fine. The main problem is there are no updates except to maybe ask them the submission date of the most recent orders they are receiving back.

That being said, as another user said, just forget about your cards, literally. One day they will show up, probably. That day will not be any time soon. PSA, BGS and increasingly CGC are so far behind it doesn’t make sense to even think about your cards lol Frankly, I don’t know how Ludkins or Graded Gem keep the lights on after what PSA did to them.

1 Like

Looks like they’re not going to be middlemanning cards for PSA anymore.

6 Likes

its sad to hear the end of gradedgem :slightly_frowning_face: although it looks like the rumors were true about the possibility of a grading company . Randolph confirmed this HERE

what do you guys think?

3 Likes

I say good lucky to them! It’s sad to see GG dissolve, but the lads behind it have proven they know how to run a professional business properly, so I have every confidence they have the ability to build the most slick grading company in the UK (not a high bar right now either, haha).

As long as they have a good label design & unique slab, I’ll 100% be giving them a go.

Its a shame, The GG guys had good video content, you can tell they are big fans of the hobby.

In terms of grading, is there now any PSA middleman company alternative in the UK?

3 Likes

Ludkins were the first big PSA middleman service in the UK, and have confirmed they aren’t going anywhere.

They have lots of regular customers and are highly trusted, so just keep an eye on when they’re accepting new subs.

5 Likes

I’m actually pretty excited for this, I think it could do really well in the UK. He also said they would be open soon so I’ll definitely be giving them a go!

Unfortunate to see Graded Gem break ties with PSA.

I’ll wait and see what GG & Randolph come up with but most likey I’ll try out PCA since I have a few of their slabs already.

Creating new grading companies is about the worst idea I could ever think of.

They are solving the problem of “PSA is closed” - that is not how to build a business; PSA’s closure is temporary and their moat runs DEEP. If you are reading this and you’re thinking of starting your own grading company please just save your money.

12 Likes

100% agree.

Not wanting to go too much off-topic, but I mentioned this in the past, PSA’s decision to suspend services was genious. They put a halt to the increase in their backlog, they went on a hiring spree and flooded smaller competitors with submissions. By the time their competitors are done digesting PSA’s leftovers, PSA will already be back to normal turnaround times and ready to takeover the market completely again.

UK already has this Get Graded company trying to gain market share and it doesn’t seem to be delivering on expectations, so starting your own grading company seems risky and if you have the cash to start your own company there are certainly better investments to be made that this.

1 Like

They is also this new grading company in USA agscard.com/

Which I thought was some sort of free app to grade your card at first.

Well, they get 10/10 for innovative thinking, but I’m not sure I would trust AI on this. How do you get a large enough sample size to accurately grade trophy cards, Japanese cards, etc? This may work well for modern and English, but it will be difficult to compete with PSA if you don’t have enough data to feed into the machine learning software.
Also, it’s a bit contradictory to say ‘With our technology, we will be able to grade cards faster and more accurately than PSA and BGS.’ and right after that say ‘Starting at $20 per card’.
Surely if your technology is faster you can churn those cards out at a pace that allows you to have lower prices than the most established companies in the hobby and still turn a decent profit.
Sounds like an interesting project to follow though, who knows, if their software is good enough PSA may even buy them. :grin:

1 Like

saw on discord psa is cutting ties with middle men who are affiliated with competitors. imo being a Psa middle man is better then starting a new company

2 Likes