Graded booster box

Saw this on ebay. Thoughts?

1 Like

There is a bit of a perverse mentality in this hobby that if you can slab it, it should be worth more. I can see this idea burning a lot of people down the road.

16 Likes

Not necessarily more but comparatively more to a lower grade maybe. I like it for preservation reasons tbh

Edit: although i guess in this case its whats inside that counts :wink:

I don’t like this at all. But I can also see why it’ll become popular in the future. Anything that can be slabbed will be. :melting_face:

2 Likes

Why dont you like it? I think it can help people preserve sealed items if they struggle to keep things sealed. Also makes a cool display

I assume that they are also authenticating the boxes, in addition to grading the wrap/outer box condition? How well they can do that will be imperative, if they start slabbing boxes full of juice they won’t be around long.

Mark me down as not being a fan. Authentication services that are done well? Sure. Grading platic wrap and not really knowing what you’re doing otherwise? No thanks.

8 Likes

I hate it.

1 Like

Initial thought went immediately to the grading company name. Horrible name… Then out of pure curiosity, I went to their website and first thing it says is “The World’s First NFT Grading Company”.

1 Like

Is there anything people won’t grade ?

2 Likes

As long as the case is sealed properly to avoid shenanigans, then its on the buyer if they are interested. If no one wants it then let the seller waste investor money on it.

I cant see a reason to get it done myself but it is properly labeled, hopefully properly graded for condition, and it should be authentically sourced since its a new set. Companies who grade decks are worse because their labels are rarely with correct information.

1 Like

I just don’t see the appeal of paying a company to authenticate/grade the plastic wrap and box condition. I’m also not confident that a company can tell authentic vs. tampered boxes with 100% reliability.

I care more about what is in the box than the box or box art itself.

5 Likes

Do they grade the NFT’s based on the amount of jpeg compression or something?

4 Likes

Interesting for sure. If one of the major grading companies offered something like this I could see it blasting off, although kind of silly.

1 Like

Oh no, not the juice box incident :worried:

I believe personally that you cannot 100% authenticate a box without opening it, so this doesnt rly alleviate any of the risks of buying sealed vintage boxes

5 Likes

Here’s an authenticated box for ye

16 Likes

I mean they slab action figures so I guess booster boxes are not far off

I like the idea and think that it could help with preservation and display nice but I have absolutely no reason to believe that this random company is authenticating real boxes and would actually be able to handle the consequences if something was resealed.

1 Like

I agree , this is a bit of a mania going on on “slab whatever to flip” and make money… PSA is the big winner in all cases but it brings a sour taste to the collectible market

1 Like

Is this really all that different from grading sealed video games (preservation, displaying box art, grading plastic wrap and box condition, issues with resealing)? I feel like sealed video game grading probably doesn’t get that much flak, but I could be wrong (given the recent controversy with the graded game market).