Gold star… overrated or underrated?

I think this ranking will make some people mad… :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

This ranking is what we call in the business, wrong.

Delta Species Gyarados in the “ugly” tier?! My heart.

1 Like

That mouth is so odd looking.

Screen Shot 2022-10-25 at 2.43.24 PM

2 Likes

If by odd, you mean badass, then I agree.

The proportions are wrong on the right side of Gyarados’ mouth… the left side of the mouth looks just fine. A small edit to the mouth to look symmetrical would have done wonders on this art.

1 Like

all the delta species cards are wack looking

The whole head really. French bulldog meets Goofy meets viper.

The eyes are chef’s kiss though.

2 Likes

I won’t derail this thread, but may have to make a new one on the importance of delta species art…

4 Likes

I would support this

2 Likes

I also support this

1 Like

I think gold stars are fine overall. I find Fukuda illustrated many of them in action, so you get a distorted perspective sometimes, which can make the Pokemon look kinda goofy. I’m not sure their ‘overrated’ per se, but some of them are priced too high, in the sense that, for the money, I would rather have MANY other cards. That being said, I like that the dogs are more affordable, since everyone saw that video of the dude with all them in the binder. Some people seem to avoid them like the plague because of that, which doesn’t really make a ton of sense to me, but whatevs

Some people seem to avoid them like the plague because of that, which doesn’t really make a ton of sense to me, but whatevs

Here’s my rationale, in case it helps you understand why some might not touch them: just as with modern cards, too many mint copies are out there that were (and never will be) subject to organic attrition. Basically, the gold star dogs aren’t collectible in the same way that other gold stars are. Owning a copy of a mass-produced item is much less interesting to me when 90% of the copies in circulation are in mint condition.

Of course, they’re nice cards to have in binder sets because they’re beautiful. But I have no desire to ever collect slabbed versions because, simply put, they’re not collectible.

1 Like

I think that’s why wizards of the coast is so valuable. Especially sets like skyridge and aquapolis amd 1st Ed sets. Low print runs and the company that made them can’t make more copies. Let me know what you think

TPCi is no more able to reprint EX than they are WotC. WoTC forfeited to TPCi the rights to anything Pokemon TCG-related decades ago. So that has nothing to do with why WotC is (generally) more valuable. It’s more valuable because it’s the first era, and that’s appealing to collectors.

1 Like

Ah gotcha gotcha. Also because it’s made by wotc it’s more desirable as opposed to a reprint by the Pokémon company

It’s one factor that some collectors care about, yeah. But the market doesn’t reflect that unilaterally. For example, it’s significantly more difficult and expensive to collect mint 2004-2005 era (TPCi) sets than it is to collect mint 2000-2001 era (WotC) sets. There’s a lot less supply of the era directly after the end of the WotC era, which outweighs the generally higher demand for WotC. So I’d say that WotC has higher demand, but isn’t necessarily more “desirable” (although it really depends on what we mean by “desirable”).

That’s kind of a weird statement. Is collectability only dependent on rarity? People collect all kinds of things irrespective of rarity.

Also, I’m starting to wonder whether this site has a blind spot for modern cards. When it comes to experience, I doubt there’s any site more reliable, but one has to wonder if there is bias against modern.

If the pandemic and the recent surge of interest in the last couple years has created any significant amount of new or returning collectors, wouldn’t there be a new paradigm entering that may not have been present before? People who would not act like the traditional collectors so far?

I do have nostalgia for the sets I grew up with, but the card that hooked me back was the stained glass birds. Obviously all modern is not the same and despite rainbow rare cards and gold cards being more rare, no one is considering them an equivalent to the chase cards of vintage eras.

However, I find it difficult to believe that the demand for modern alt arts is all hype or artificial. Yes, there is a lot of hype and potentially manipulation but these collectors aren’t rushing to collect Gold Stars and many other types of vintage cards. They may get there eventually or maybe they never will, so despite the PSA 10 population being 100x smaller than Umbreon VMAX AA, the demand for those is also a lot less amongst newer collectors.

And even if art is subjective, I think many would say the art is at the best it’s ever been. The added benefit for modern alt arts is that they are full art and textured making them more of an art piece than cards from WOTC/EX era.

It feels like people here are writing them off based only on PSA population which doesn’t seem to tell the whole story. I’m obviously too new to know when prices are meant to settle or how long it takes for us to recognise what true demand actually is, but I think that it may be still unprecedented.

3 Likes

Also, I’m starting to wonder whether this site has a blind spot for modern cards. When it comes to experience, I doubt there’s any site more reliable, but one has to wonder if there is bias against modern.

Where did I say anything negative about modern? All I said is I don’t collect it.

However, I find it difficult to believe that the demand for modern alt arts is all hype or artificial. Yes, there is a lot of hype and potentially manipulation but these collectors aren’t rushing to collect Gold Stars and many other types of vintage cards. They may get there eventually or maybe they never will, so despite the PSA 10 population being 100x smaller than Umbreon VMAX AA, the demand for those is also a lot less amongst newer collectors.

I’ve never seen a single person claim the demand is all (or even mostly) artificial. And if anyone claimed that, it certainly wasn’t me.

It feels like people here are writing them off based only on PSA population which doesn’t seem to tell the whole story. I’m obviously too new to know when prices are meant to settle or how long it takes for us to recognise what true demand actually is, but I think that it may be still unprecedented.

I’m writing them off only to the extent that I have zero interest in collecting them. But that’s my personal opinion. Collect them to your heart’s content.

1 Like

What is the story on the legendary dogs gold star cards? Why are they so much cheaper compared to the others? I just saw a video that someone had a monopoly on them and drive the prices down?

I don’t necessarily think something being less rare makes it less collectible! All set cards are mass-produced, doesn’t change the fact that they’re nice cards. I collect tons of cards that aren’t particularly rare or scarce :person_shrugging:

@Charizard1020 I’m pretty sure some guy stole a bunch of them from a factory and posted a video of like hundreds of each gold star dog nm in a binder. so, many people don’t mess with them for that reason, but I still think they’re cool and a couple hundred extra copies ain’t rly hurt no one imo