Gold star mew - potential grade?

The whitening isn’t that bad. Will also depend how the much surface damage there is. I think it’s a 7-9

Yours is no worse than that 9 overall so shows it’s possible.

of course we are agreeing

1 Like

Good to hear on the whitening - I have some faith looking at that PSA 9 jac shared haha Surface-wise, holo looks really clean except for one really faint hairline near mew’s raised arm (only visible under bright light).

I think the main ‘damage’ would be the slight fraying in the top right corner, added another picture under more normal lighting where it’s visible. Everything considered, do you think that combined with the off-centering / print line would still put it in 7 territory or closer to a 8 (some even think 9)? Understand if it’s hard to say - recognize this seems to be a bit subjective haha

With PSA, likely going to be 7 or 8 (though my bet would be on 8). Clearly well-cared for (puts my childhood cards to shame), but not mint. Sure, there are weaker 9s out there but there are also stronger 8s. I’d be surprised (though not absolutely shocked) if it got a 9.

If you want to sell it, just list it on eBay raw. With the pictures you posted here, it will sell for PSA 7-8 price via auction. Unless it gets a 9, there’s not going to be an appreciable premium.

Sounds fair, thanks for your thoughts! Not really looking to sell at the moment, just trying to get a sense for what constitutes different grades so I can more appropriately assess my other cards. Thought this was a good example since it mostly looked good but seemed to have some imperfections

1 Like

I wouldn’t worry too much about corner lift/separation. Its pretty common on 9s and 10s.
Here’s two psa 10s that have it.

Wow interesting, thanks for sharing - I thought PSA 10s had to be like, absolutely perfect. Between what you and zorloth (and others) have said, seems like there’s non-negligible variance on how cards are actually graded by PSA.

1 Like

Check @triple’s shining charizard thread. The crossover is huge. The more I’ve looked at, bought graded and graded myself the more I’ve learnt what’s actually the case.

1 Like

true, honestly I was expecting a 7 maybe a 6 again, but 8 felt super lucky

1 Like

All grades are possible. 8s a great sticking point. I’ve just seen you’re a poet nice.