Getting Cigarette Smell out of Cards

I picked up some Neo era commons and uncommons and they used to belong to a smoker. Problem is that they smell of cigarettes, does anyone know how to get the stench out? I’m currently leaving them sealed in a box with an open box of baking soda and some dryer sheets but does anyone else have a different solution?

Ozium spray coupled with what you mentioned and then a lot of airing out. Use a box fan to circulate more air across them if you can set them up in a garage. A search of the forum will bring up this topic a few times over the past several years.

2 Likes

Spray the cards directly? Thanks!

No you won’t want to wet them. Indirectly get it in their midst.

Just start smoking yourself and you won’t notice the smell anymore :blush:

23 Likes

My friend’s dad used to smoke inside their house so the cards I traded from my friend used to smell like smoke obviously. It seems like though the cigarette smell fades easier from cards than stuff like clothing etc. But if you want to speed the process fresh air helps as mentioned.

I only had few cards smelling here and there so it might be different. I shoved them into a binder even if they smelled but the smell disappeared over time.

3 Likes

Sandpaper

1 Like

Leave them out in the open for a while and the smell should go away like @xzini said. If the smell is really strong (you can smell it when you walk into the room the card is in, not just when you’re in close proximity to the card) then you may want to go to more extreme measures, but the smell should fade with time anyway if you can put up with it for a while.

Just make sure the room they’re in is well ventilated.

It’s worth noting that if the cards smell really strong then they may also have been discoloured. Compare them with similar cards and see if there is a yellowing to them - if there is you’ll probably want to return them as they’re damaged.

1 Like

Try spraying some paper towels with fabric freshener, wait for them to dry, and wrap the cards in those and leave them for a few days. Repeat until the smell is gone. I think I had to individually wrap my cards and repeated 2 or 3 times, they were really bad, but it worked.

1 Like

Orange peel and baking soda. Not on the cards but in a tub under the cards using something like a cooling tray or similar to suspend the cards above.

Buy a bottle of fabric freshener like febreeze, pour it all into a container. Submerge the cards in the smell good juice overnight and in the morning you’ll have fresh af cards with only slight wear. Sell them on T&T as NM for best results

Smoke smell adds a premium if they are fire Pokemon. Adds to realism

5 Likes

I heard Koffing, Weezing and Gastly are using the move “smokescreen” and other gas attacks often, if they don’t smell like sweet tobacco, then you’re clearly not training those Pokemon properly.

Thanks for all the tips!

You can sell the cards as Covid tests. Don’t smell the cigarettes, you’re positive!

1 Like