Future for Base Set Unlimited?

I am looking in to investing in early WOTC cards, but I am not able to pay the high prices of 1st Edition and Shadowless. Do you think base unlimited will ever shoot up in the future, or is there just too much on the market?

Sealed product yes

1 Like

I can’t see it growing in value very much. You can always go with a lower grade 1st edition or shadowless card. Also PSA 9-10 1st edition base commons sometimes go very cheap and have some potential for growth.

From a growth/value perspective:

I strongly believe you should buy a lower quantity of a higher caliber card well before anything thing else. I’d rather save for 2 months and buy a 1st ed Charizard vs my 15 favorite cards in their most affordable variation. Much of this is relative to your buy-in point for a card, however assuming all cards are purchased at fair value, the higher tier items will grow at a faster rate than many other cards.

If you’re collecting for fun or have specific goals, just enjoy it and have fun. Otherwise we all would have only purchased Charizards.

5 Likes

Sealed product for unlimited is definitely a good buy and high grades for unlimited holos are pretty good bets too, but everyone here is right to hunt for the shadowless and first edition cards. Even ungraded first edition cards are good buys and cheaper than PSA. You would be surprised how high a card can grade sometimes. The key is to simply make sure there are no bends or dings. Sure other stuff can show up that is tough to see, but hunting ungraded cards is a potential high reward for base set first edition.

Any and every thing from Base is a solid buy.

4 Likes

It will go up for sure - it is only a matter of when. It it the classic set that everyone knows and loves, the only reason it will take longer to grow strongly would be like you have said there is a lot of it compared to 1st edition and shadowless. That being said everytime purchases of base set unlimited are made, unless it is a flipper the supply is slowly drying up and there is only so much out there.

Emphasis on the slow part.

It’s going to take a long time before we see significant growth in base unlimited (not sealed packs or booster boxes) unless we have another Pokemon Go scale event.

Base unlimited was printed into oblivion. Zards are cheaper now than they were 12 months ago since the hype has died.

Base unlimited is the S&P 500 index, shadowless and 1st are Amazon.

Normally I love your insights so I’m shocked to find something you couldn’t be more wrong about lol.
They quit making base unlimited 20 YEARS AGO. By Christmas of that year you couldn’t even find a single pack of them. Not many people had a pallet tucked away cause demand was insane with giant prices being offered on the secondary market.
The amount of Pokemon collectors is higher today than it was in 1999. The only way you could be right is if the market tanked (which could only happen if they discovered Professor Oak was a pedophile) and then it would be like stacked blocks. The top rungs would come crashing down first like Sun and Moons and the last to feel the sting would be Base which would be all the way on the bottom,

4 Likes

Packs and boxes I’ll buy all day :wink:

Mint holos are cheap and common though.

Those 3314 PSA 9 and 351 PSA 10 unlimited Zard populations scare me and the number is probably higher considering the delays PSA is having right now. BGS probably have a couple of hundred graded with them as well in mint condition or better (not a BGS member so I can’t see their reports but I don’t think it’s far from the truth).

My whole attitude to base unlimited SINGLES is “It’s not a bad option, but you can do better”.

And I acknowledge that one day unlimited psa 9 Zard will hit 4 figures but that day is a long way away. it’s just not 1st and Shadowless.

Budget@ most people I would let this pass but I feel a duty to a friend to correct you. It’s better for me if people believe that cause then I’ll save money as I buy them but what’s true is true here on E4.

You said 351 PSA 10s. Well I think I have about 50 of them and they’re normally listed for 1500-2000 on eBay.
So there’s about 300 left. You’d have to believe that’s enough of an inventory to satisfy today’s and tomorrow’s demands. 300? Ive gotten more requests than that just this year. And many are for multiples.
Also, keep in mind that I’m always looking for them to add to my collection so that’ll take even more off the market.

3 Likes

@KingPokemon Are you mainly talking about Charizards? Or does your bullish outlook on Base Unlimited also extend to Blastoise, Venusaur and then the other holos? Thanks for your insights!

I agree with you on PSA 10 unl Zard… but everything else?

9 unlimited Zard isn’t that bad. A few years ago I sold out my stock for $100-$150 each. Now I’ve been selling them for $200-$250. For a two year return that’s not bad, is it where I’d recommend everyone go with their investment, I’m not sure, but it’s not a bad option.

1 Like

Base unlim. Simply, the most underrated. An open treasure chest, slowly closing as each day goes by.

1 Like

Yes, for all Base.
I was only talking about Charizards cause my boy budget brought them up a couple times.

1 Like

Don’t tell everybody that lol.

2 Likes

By my count, I have about 40 heavy packs of base unlimited stashed away for a rainy day. Someday I’ll open them and grade that Zard I pull. I would be a little salty if there was not one in there somewhere. I like the idea of having my chest currently full with a key nearby.

1 Like

= GOD

3 Likes