Unlimited PSA WoTC

Hey guys,

Thoughts on buying/investing in high PSAs of WOTC era unlimited cards, especially those in Base?

Will their values still increase?

Cheers

I think as far as base goes anything under a 10 wonā€™t be super valued for many years. Other sets, such as the Shining Neo sets will gain value simply because shinings are sought after whether they are first edition or not.

2 Likes

A lot of the guys here snob Base Unlimited, but I think the 10s have a lot of potential. You can buy all the holos for like $4kā€¦ Surely thatā€™s going to be worth $10k eventually.

I say buy all the Charizards/Shinings you can find in PSA 8+. The rest of the cards, Iā€™d have to agree with Hammy. I would not touch anything under a 10.

1 Like

I would buy these cards in any condition for the right price. There will likely be growth for any condition.

5 Likes

When it comes to the less popular cards Iā€™m currently seeing 1st ed and unlimited 9s of sets like rocket and gym going for sub $20. I think the 1st ed psa 9s would be better for investment although I think thereā€™s room to grow in unlimited too. There seems to be this threshold for psa high graded WOTC holos. That threshold sits at $15-20 and they will never be worth less than that in my opinion and right now the price gap between 1st ed and unlimited psa 9 wotc holos is way too small. So I see 1st ed psa 9s climbing away from that threshold in the near future and then unlimited in the next few years following. I think itā€™s smart to be investing in them right Now, I known I am.

1 Like

How about this for WOTC (excluding Base)

PSA 10 unlimited or PSA 9 1st edition ?

PSA 10 unlimited. I think the perfect grade holds more value than that 1st edition stamp.

Definitely depends on the card and the set, but personally I think PSA 9 1st edition is overall a better investment than PSA 10 unlimited for the same card. I might be wrong.

Again, itā€™s difficult to say because the scarcity of PSA 10 unlimited compared to the scarcity of PSA 9 1st edition is possibly similar, but it would be difficult to know just how close in quantity they are. While unlimited was printed in much higher quantities for WOTC, sealed unlimited product is scarce enough that the odds of getting a PSA 10 from holo (either pack fresh or if you get lucky and find a Gem raw card) is low.

Right now, for sets like Fossil and Jungle, PSA 10 unlimited holos tend to fetch a premium over 1st edition PSA 9. 5-10 years down the line though once 1st edition dries up, but unlimited is still showing up every so often, then you might see the 1st edition PSA 9 get the premium.

1 Like

Letā€™s take the shining charizard for example because the unlimited 10 and the 1st ed 9 seems to be around the same price range ($750-$850).

The 1st ed is always more collectable than the unlimited, so a PSA 10 1st ed is always the ā€˜chase cardā€™.

Say the price of the PSA 10 becomes out of reach for most collectors, which would be the next best choice? For me, itā€™s the same card, but a grade lower, not the same grade, but different editions.

Demand travels vertically down the grades rather than horizontally to different editions I would say. Look at the 1st edition base Charizard. Which went up in value first when the PSA 10 1st ed sold for $18k? The PSA 9 1st ed from $2k to $3k, then the PSA 8 1st ed from $1k to $1.8k, then the PSA 10 Shadowless from $2.6k to $4k (this is a special case because only 4 were sold publicly after the $18k sale), then the PSA 7 1st ed from $650 to $1k, then we saw a huge spike in PSA 9 Shadowless from $1.2k to $2.6k.

The value of the PSA 9 1st ed stamp appreciates faster than the value of the unlimited PSA 10 grade following a record sale of its PSA 10 1st edition counterpart.

1 Like

Well I asked the question, because for now, PSA 10 unlimited is worth more, but it seems people think PSA 9 1st edition is better

Iā€™m interested in the neo legendary holos, and the PSA 9 1st ed are up to 20X higher pop than PSA 10 unlimited. The price on unlimited 10ā€™s is also significantly higher than PSA 9 1st edition , can be more than double in some cases

Anything PSA 10 in the Base Set especially holos are good to go. The only sets that are questionable are Jungle, Fossil, Team Rocket etc, because the auctions arent showing any growth. They should be valued way higher, especially with the boxes going up. But base is good

What makes stuff like PokƩmon cards increase in value?
When too many people want it and thereā€™s no enough to go around.

So for all these questions, itā€™s simply a guess on when/will the demand overwhelm the supply.

When it comes to unlimited base, Iā€™m extremely cautious. There are so many sealed products and mint cards sitting out there ungraded, itā€™s going to take a huge amount of demand to absorb that supply. The only redeeming factor is that 10s are tough to grade so personally I wouldnā€™t touch anything under a 10 for base.

The dynamic is a bit different for other WOTC sets since you donā€™t necessarily have the massive print run that unlimited base did. PSA 9 1st ed vs unlimited 10 is an interesting question. My choice is 1st ed 9 all day because that what I actually collect personally.

Simply comparing the pop difference between psa 9 1st ed and unlimited 10 is not sufficient to predict long-term price changes, because pop is not a direct indicator of supply. PSA population is more proportional to a function like min (supply, demand). Since the 1st ed 10s is king, people send in all their candidate 10s and get back a lot of 9s as a result. For unlimited, people are likely hesitatant to grade their cards since a 9 or an 8 is not worth it.

Basically, I think that the PSA 9 1st ed cards suffer from a surplus of supply and PSA 10 unlimited suffer from a lack of demand. Both of these factors restrict the prices from growing. Iā€™m going to put my money on the side with more demand though.

1 Like

ur wrong.

Happy holidays everybody!

1 Like

Damn, canā€™t argue with that logic!! :laughing:

5 Likes

Iā€™m curious to know which part you think is wrong?

I like to pick up psa 8 unlimited zards with $15 off $75+ coupons when ebay has them.

psa 8 zards were $75 or so a few months back but have creeped up recently.

I personally am a fan of Unlimited over 1st ED.

I actually think Unlimited is sort of an underdog in the Pokemon Collecting community. Theyā€™re very overlooked and tossed to the side simply because of a tiny black stamp missing. With that being said, I think investing in them may be smart. Weā€™ve already seen what happens when a stamp becomes so much In value that people then turn their attention to the non stamped variants.

Plus their may have been more UED printed, but in todayā€™s market, it seems like more 1st edition Neo boxes pop up more than the UED variants do. Another thing I heard once that I liked, may have been Scott who said it, but that Unlimited were the ā€œplayableā€ cards since no one cared for them back in the dayā€¦ which would make finding mint raw copies harder to acquire down the line.

Just my two cents :blush:

2 Likes

People are always going to go after the 1st print run, whatā€™s more important is the actual Pokemon tbh.

If you had to touch anything unlimited and WotC only go after PSA/BGS 10s.

Even then, I wouldnā€™t be buying anything which isnā€™t the Shinings, Base set starter trio and maybe the Jungle eeveelutions, legendary bird trio and fossil dragonite.

When dealing with 9s Base Zard is the only unlimited PSA 9 card from early WotC Iā€™d touch. Late WotC obviously the Shinings.

PSA 9s of the other cards I mentioned will rise as time goes on but the best returns will be in the 10s.

When it comes to the neo setsā€¦ the people who want to complete these sets will want them in 1st.

Obviously you shouldnā€™t ignore PSA 10 unlimited neo holos at the right price pointā€¦

1 Like

I would say:

1st Edition 10
1st Edition 9
Shadowless 10
Shadowless 9
Unlimited 10
Unlimited 9

Shadowless 10s are creeping up in price. As for shadowless 9s, good luck finding Chansey, Raichu and Clefairy. Thoughts?