Unlimited WOTC cards

What are your thoughts on unlimited WOTC holos?

It appears that they’ve experienced a price hike across the board. Do you think this will become th norm as 1st edition holos become more pricey?

In general, people will move to cheaper alternatives if they can’t afford the ideal choice or if the value differential between the two options becomes too large to justify.

5 Likes

Dont buy them. Every country in the world got them and no one has graded them yet.

1 Like

I love em.

Same exact card at a cheaper rate with literally the smallest detail taken off.

I buy them for the love of the art, where as 1st edition would be more as an “investment” standpoint.

15 Likes

I agree with @pkmnflyingmaster here and could even use myself as an example. Speaking in matters of 1st editions, I cant afford buying PSA 10 variants of many of the cards i wanted and couldnt justify purchasing a lot of those as there are typically vast differences between the two, hence why now my main collecting goals live in the psa 9 1st edition realm for now. However, as 1st editions become more limited in purchasing accessibility, slowly I believe that 1st editions at the psa 9 level will rise in price range, and so on and so forth down the line so long as demand continues to be there for these items. With this same concept, you could look at unlimited in the same light, where you find there will be many people who cannot justify buying cards at such a high price, thus settling for unlimited cards in good condition, either psa graded or raw copies, will suffice. So naturally prices there might also be an increase there with unlimited cards, but i feel it would be situational as to which rise over others (take Charizard as an example being high while others cards not so much), and how much would be dependent on what buyers are willing to pay coupled with availability.
Overall, I feel theres definitely a place for them in both collecting and sales respectively.

Unlimited cards are great. The one set where I think 1st edition is meaningfully different is base due to the different colors (though shadowless is obviously the cheaper alternative). I like the colors of 1st/shadowless much better.

1 Like

I love unlimiteds too as well as PSA 9s.

4 Likes

I think they freaking rule!

I should mention that notwithstanding my post above, in my opinion, the best bang for your buck to own a piece of Pokemon TCG history is an Unlimited Base binder set.

1 Like

I pretty much only collect PSA 9 unlimited WOTC. UK didn’t get 1st edition base set, so they’re of little interest to me, personally.

PSA 9 is also the same as a 10. I own 10s that can be 9s, and 9s that can be 10s.
They’re the same cards without the silly prices!

7 Likes

Thanks for all your input and yours specifically. I own many 1st edition cards and unlimited too, and look at my psa 9 unlim version of a card and sometimes can’t fathom that the the 1st edition variant I own in psa 10 is worth 20-30x more. makes me wanna stack more unlim

My collection isn’t too deep and I really prefer to have first edition over unlimited. I know the art is the same, but I think the first ed stamp adds another layer and it looks much better to me

For example I bought an unlimited gym heroes Dragonair, but ended up selling a week later to buy the first Ed that was $30 more. May be unnecessary, but the opinion depends on the person.

PSA 9 wotc unlimited is SO CHEAP for a lot of cards right now

2 Likes

As db already said, Unlimited 9s and 10s are insanely cheap. Some of these holos are incredibly hard to grade, yet they are merely worth more or maybe even the same than a light booster from the set. I started buying Unlimited 10s last year, and right now its just too attractive to stop imo.

1 Like

Just as was said above, many that can’t afford 1st ed base will move to shadowless and then from shadowless to unlimited and so on with other sets. Plenty of unlimited cards are undervalued, especially the unlimited neo cards with the exception being the shining cards.

I’ve been looking for these for a few years. Blissey is pop 0. Passed on the Ampharos twice. Regret it now.

Unlimited Neo Genesis:
#14 Slowking - $300

Unlimited Neo Revelations:
#1 Ampharos - $500
#2 Blissey - $500

2 Likes

The hobby is filled with unlimited snobs. Which has alot of people sleeping on them which i was capitalising on till recently :sweat_smile:

I love them, plus the low pops make them an enjoyable chase. Out side of base there is no difference between them and first edition.

1 Like

Those prices are a fair bit outdated in the current market mate. If any of those came up for auction they would sky above that.

1 Like

If you’re looking at unlimited 10s as investments because you think they’re rare…

Why not save to buy something more significant and even rarer?

Buy the cards because you like them, appreciate the rarity, etc. Don’t buy these to flip, you’re just making life hard for yourself.

Agree, with that logic, if one likes jungle holos in mint condition, an unlimited 9 is a viable option one can be content with at half- third of the price.

unlimited cards = unlimited fun

3 Likes