[Fun stats] Crystal cards - ratio of PSA 10s to total pop

1. Aquapolis Nidoking - 16.4% of all the graded Crystal holo Nidokings are PSA 10 (77:469)
2. Aquapolis Kingdra - 16.7% (69:414)
3. Aquapolis Lugia - 18.2% (109:599)
4. Skyridge Ho-Oh - 25.7% (84:327)
5. Skyridge Crobat - 27% (75:278)
6. Skyridge Charizard - 37.6% (182:484)
7. Skyridge Kabutops - 37.9% (143:377)
8. Skyridge Celebi - 42% (132:314)
9. Skyridge Golem - 42.9% (168:392)

Not sure whether this is any useful (most likely not) but it is definitely fun to know.
Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

6 Likes

I’m amazed Charizard is that high, considering as well that it probably has the most number of re-grades in the pop. Maybe that’s just my mentality of WOTC pack fresh = PSA 8 (all WOTC PSA 10 holos are extra copies).

1 Like

That’s interesting for sure, I actually received a PSA 7 Ho-oh in the mail today and was wondering about the pop. Looks like Ho-oh is 25.6% at 84:327, making it the lowest 10 ratio.

I wonder if the relative scarcity of Skyridge prompted people to better preserve their cards, or if it was mostly collectors buying at that point. Most Skyridge that I find in collections tends to be above average condition.

Added Ho-Oh to the original post, for some reason I forgot about him. And yeah, I am curious whether someone has more insight as to why that is - Celebi at 42,8% is quite high!

Nice thread, I love seeing data like this. I’m surprised that Ho-oh has the second lowest number of submissions in general.

1 Like

Possibly, people might also just take better care of their Charizards as they have been the chase cards since the set was printed

If I had to guess, it’d be the art. More holo and lighter colors allows for holo scratches to show easier and make getting a 10 harder. Kabutops, celebi, and golem all have overall very dark backgrounds making holo scratches harder to see. Charizard has a very light background but much less holo space. Ho-oh and crobat have a large holo space with lighter colors making scratches show up easier.
I suspect some print run difference between Aquapolis and Skyridge as for why aquapolis crystals grade harder.

Please explain what you mean here is this extra copies thing back to the whole Pkonno theory that was recently dug up… so any WOTC-era holo for you that got a 9 or a 10 was an extra copy, and extra copy as in cut off stolen sheets, reprints by dubious staff at the facilities, etc.

It was a joke :blush:

lmao ok at least! Can’t tell anymore with everything being put into question these days :stuck_out_tongue: