Footage Inside WOTC Card Factory

This video was posted on a FB group and is an interesting video in itself and might be interesting as an Australian point of view of the Pokemon craze but what was most intriguing to me was the footage inside the WOTC printing facilities!

I’ve linked it to the specific point of the factory but I would recommend watching the whole thing is pretty fun watch!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7_LyYTb8vg

20 Likes

Wow :open_mouth:

I liked the part where they added the signature fresh-out-the-pack-edge-wear

On a more serious note, I can see how you can get distinct texture markings and grey stamps when they stack so many sheets on top of each other

4 Likes

Haha good old news, gotta make a bad guy outta someone ‘you’re manipulating the market but making some cards scarce! You’re maximizing profits off kids!’

Love these old clips, so nostalgic

2 Likes

Awesome video 10/10. That reporter was not a fan of the franchise and all the money they were making clearly.

1 Like

They make some cards RARE! Now that’s nefarious.

1 Like

As a company you try and increase PROFITS? What a terrible operation you are running here. Unlike anything I have ever heard of!

4 Likes

Haha yeah Australia has a very strong sense of tall poppy syndrome :rofl:

It’s crazy to see the cards in production being flinged around so roughly and then on youtube and instagram we have the careful collectors taking them out packs with gloves on LOL :laughing:

3 Likes

Working hard and investing money to hopefully turn a profit is anti Australian apparently to that jackass interviewer?

1 Like

Lol I googled tall poppy syndrome and it seems to just be an Autralian moniker for a very global phenomenom. “The tall poppy syndrome describes aspects of a culture where people of high status are resented, attacked, cut down or criticised simply because they have been classified as superior to their peers.”

I recently also heard of “crab mentality” or “crabs in the bucket” which refers similarly to the tearing down of anyone leading the pack or excelling to the demise of the entire group.

Unfortunately both even pop up on the forum from time to time.

1 Like

Oh no, some of them are RARE? They should be forced to put some sort of symbol on the cards to indicate this, instead of keeping it a secret from those poor kids.

Go back in time and just grab a huge stack of uncut sheets. that would be fun :blush:

1 Like

Amazing find! Yeah… I had a problem with the whole… “You are making some cards rarer?” As if Pokémon introduced that concept to the world. Not even from the monetary aspect but from the playability aspect, how boring would it be if everyone could get the rarest/strongest card in their first pack? How fun would be it be to catch a Legendary Pokemon as your first Pokémon? If anything the question should’ve been worded like this: “How come you are not teaching them how great Instant gratification can be?”

4 Likes

Eh they just tried to spin the whole thing as an evil corporation profiting off of children…you know, not like its some sort of industry or anything. Terrible news piece, interesting footage.

lol that kid he interviewed in the classroom was an OG flipper.

8 Likes

Thanks for sharing this video with Efour. Seeing those cards some of them looking to be mint was insane. That interviewer is definitely anti-pokemon. I wonder what he must be thinking now (if he is alive) that these cards are worth in the thousands and that their is a serious market for them.
:wink:

Phenomenal footage, but what a terrible interview. “What about $5 for a pack of cards with only 11 in them”. Interviewer complains about manipulation, then literally manipulates kids with loaded question…

I love how the kids learned basic economics from the hobby. The kid who rattled off the valuation of charizard was great. That is something the interview should have explored, instead of being an edgelord.

Regardless thanks for the find shizzle! I love seeing how other countries had the exact same experience with the hobby!

3 Likes

Given the occurence of misprints and miscuts I bet they still use machines from the past century. I’ve worked in a printing facility where we had highspeed cameras in the machine and could adjust the print by a tenth of a millimeter via control panel in real time.

Excellent find, thanks. I feel like writing a letter to 60 minutes and letting them kniw just how successful pokemon cards was and is #stickthatupyourpipeandsmokeit

1 Like