False Delivery, Weird Tracking

A recent eBay purchase tracking said “delivered” but I did not receive anything. Checked security, and the package was never dropped. Also the tracking updates are something I’ve never seen before. Curious if anyone else has had this update pattern:

? That’s a new one on me.

Might be delivered to the wrong address? Hopefully nothing valuable as these are hard to recover. Or maybe they delivered to the senders address by mistake

This has happened several times to me.

I usually order cards and send them straight to the office. 9 times out of 10 they get delivered during the week. Sometimes it’s delayed and it comes on the weekend. The mailman supposedly “delivered” the item, but its a corporate office and there is no mailbox outside. You’re forced to come in and give it to the receptionist.

After speaking with USPS, they said the mailman accidentally scanned it as delivered instead of “undeliverable” (though it didn’t reflect on their tracking website as so)

(This literally happens every time)

Sure enough overnight it did update.

Hopefully that’s the case for you and it didn’t get stolen. USPS customer service are able to see things sooner on their systems instead of what we would see on generic tracking. I’d give that a try if it hasn’t updated yet.

That’s what I deduced as well. I’ve never seen tracking go from “label created” to “delivered” in 2 days with no updates in between.

I read this article, which sounds like your situation. Basically false delivery scans and then the item arrives later. Hopefully that’s the case with my package.

2 Likes

Since you live in the US, I assume it’s delivered at the wrong address?

I personally use a track and trace app on my mobile, which states delivered pretty often even though I haven’t received anything yet. Usually I can look at either the Dutch post office website or another website that shows more details than my the app I’m using, and then it states it’s delivered at the address of my local post office (thus ready to pick up). I’m used to it now, but the first time it was pretty confusing to see the status “DELIVERED” even though I haven’t received anything yet.

Isn’t there a website of some sort to see more information about your tracking code as well? Maybe you can deduct at what address it’s delivered at perhaps? Depends on the kind of tracking code, though. What I described above is only for tracking codes in the format AA000000000CC (where AA are two random letters, which I think depends on the delivery service used, but not sure; and the last two are the country code - i.e. US for the USA; JP for Japan; NL for The Netherlands; etc.) Tracking codes in other formats, like the one eBay or DHL uses, is a different story. Those can most likely only be tracked on their respective websites.

Greetz,
Quuador

Thanks for the article. I’m not surprised. Good luck on the package brother.

Smpratte that same situation happened to me months ago on Blaine’s Charizard. I’m pretty sure the seller never sent it but yes same thing no updates than it magically says delivered. (Also said delivered to mail box in Miami but i live in Pensacola) Than again a second time with Crystal Zard. The Crystal was apparently loaded wrong tracking number and the seller ended up sending the order but was a nightmare at the time. Also happened to me slightly different two weeks ago but this one I did actually recieve it just came on Monday but said delivered Friday.

I have had three separate occasions in the last few months where the tracking ends at “awaiting delivery scan”. Once I got it even though it never said delievered, but the other two times I never received the item at all. Not sure what the deal is with that, but yours sounds more like a wrong address delivery or mailman update error.

I see it all the time where a buyer will message me saying the item was marked as delivered and they freak out and get all stressed out. Half the time it went to a housemate or someone else in the building signed for it and they get it later that day. The other half is where it was erroneously marked as delivered and then it shows up the next day or two. I’ve seen it on the buying side a couple times too. It is troubling to think what happens if/when it doesn’t end up showing up though as the buyer would be SOL.

1 Like

I got a similar message at 8:27 A.M. one day, but the package didn’t get delivered till after 4. And I get an email showing what mail I should get that day, since Covid-19 started sometimes it not delivered till the next day.

1 Like

I didn’t read all the responses so it might’ve been said already. But this happened to me with USPS a couple of times and the ‘delivery’ was it being returned to the sender for whatever reason, in my case they’d filled out the customs form incorrectly.

1 Like

I had this happen also. More similar to the discussed item I also had the package say similar things and show up two days later. Sucks to have to see this and wait in anxiety though.

You can request a “mail search” from USPS which differs from filing a missing package claim… they can start the mail search while it’s still in this boat and I’ve had surprisingly positive experiences with USPS through this process. Can’t say the same for their missing package process/service though.