Evolutions/Modern Card Quality Quips

I just cracked a box of Evolutions in hopes of pulling some cards for my master set binder. The EXs looked like this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSm2_ijEyvs

What kind of issues with card quality have you guys had? Do I email TPCi about these cards and hope to get them replaced? What experiences do you guys have with newer/modern sets? I’m sick of spending money on new sets just to pull garbage. The fun and nostalgia I used to experience when pulling from Evolutions has gone straight out the window after pulling card after card with imperfections. Now, I can’t wait to just be done with this set so I can stop trying to collect modern of this scale again. It has larger implications than just a box with rough cards - somebody else trying to collect could see these and choose not to pursue the hobby because cards aren’t guaranteed to be at least near mint out of the pack.

Tl;dw: I opened a box of Evolutions and eight of the nine Ultra Rares had significant scratching on the back.

1 Like

I opened an Evolutions box recently and most of the holos had print lines on them, kinda annoying

I also had issues with quality when I opened a box at release. Noticed a lot of other people with similar problems.

Same here, quality was lackluster.

Occasionally there’s issues but 99% of the time new cards are perfect.

1 Like

I don’t know what perfect looks like anymore, because cards straight from new sets have that “roll” of scratches on the ends like the Guzzlord-GX and the M Venusaur-EX. I just don’t know what constitutes a gem mint modern card in 2020 when the bar for card quality has been descended to the bottom of the Pacific Ocean.

As somebody who also handles cards (regardless whether it’s modern or vintage) this careful, I feel especially sorry for you getting pack fresh cards with damage like this. That sucks.

Agreed. I’ve opened plenty of Evolutions over the past years and I’ve not seen damage like that on pack fresh cards.

I would at least try to contact TPCi and see what their response is. I wouldn’t get your hopes up, because (as you said,) the set is getting old, but you can certainly try.

Don’t waste your time with TPCI. They won’t exchange cards. Heck, you’re lucky to get any reply at all. Finally if they do act at all, they’ll send you a storm siege pack lol

1 Like

I pulled a rainbow Reshiram & Charizard GX back when Unbroken Bonds first released. It had a huge scratch and indenting on the back of the card. Contacted TPCi and I sent them the card with proof of purchase and they sent back a new rainbow Reshizard and a pack of Unbroken Bonds. Graded a 9.
It may be a different situation with Evolutions being an older set. I was told I might not receive the same card I sent back if it was unavailable.

2 Likes

My main issue with evolutions is that it seems like centering was an afterthought. So many cards from that set are way off center

I’ll give it a go. I got lucky with some Cosmic Eclipse stuff a few months back but it doesn’t hurt to try.

Could you guys reflect on my question at 1:59? If a card has some scratching at the bottom (like it does on the Guzz) does it not pass your “inspection test”? Specifically for modern cards because of how inconsistent card quality is. Here’s the shortcut for your convenience.