Evolutions box is ~120 while its PSA 10 Charizard is $1500?

I am just seeing this, but I don’t see the boxes @zorloth is talking about… It looks like no members here could ever get it to work out but of course none other than the Great NastraZorloth…

Did any one get even a box? All I see is 36 loose packs for that price. Boxes are all around $900.

I was able to get it in my cart at $595, but it was from the store that later updated that listing to be 36 loose packs. So you’re correct that the $595 price for a sealed box does not appear to be a thing. It did appear to be a thing earlier, though.

Regardless, it doesn’t make a ton of sense to me that the box is worth 50% more than 36 loose packs (especially since they’re almost certainly legit/unweighed). It would make very little sense to pay 50% more a sealed box if one intends to crack it. Clearly the people buying $900 evo boxes are not cracking them. Anyone who wants to crack evo right now would be much better off going for loose packs from large vendors.

2 Likes

I know this is the evolutions thread, but dang the Japanese CP6 20th Anniversary is up to $2k from $1k at the start of the year.

Just watched an auction end for a case of XY Evolutions, seems like $5k is the going rate these days.

By the way, what happened to the Giant English Market thread? Been away for a while now.

1 Like

5k for a case is cheap. Mark my words. :blush:

1 Like

Giant market thread has been moved to a new tab “Giant mega board”

1 Like

Here is the new location. Currently its the Giant Celebrity Obsession thread.

2 Likes

Looks like the XY Evolutions Booster boxes are declining. Lots of BIN for $800.

Weird mix of $750 to $1000 solds.

So as a total noob a few months ago, I cut open the case box of XY Evolutions to confirm the contents, does that devalue the box if I try to sell it as a case in the future?

Thanks!

Yeah, the market has really cooled off. I’ve seen 1 box for $500 sell (unsure if seal was broken though), and a few others for $750-$775.

Im sure you could advertise it as a case as long as pics/description describe it as opened. If there’s any markup at all for a sealed case vs. 6 separate boxes, then that’s probably gone. I might be wrong though.

1 Like

Market as a whole?

Throwback monday to when i opened 40 evo boxes @ $110 USD.

Ive seen the prices as low as $400 USD in the last couple days.

I predict the holo zard and chansey will be the only cards from this set worth over $250 as PSA 10 in 2 years. I know there isnt any chanseys, yet, and that many cards are selling higher currently, but i suspect things will change over time.

Something we can all agree on: they did blastoise and venusaur dirty, they really deserved holo reprints.

7 Likes

I really hope most of the people who paid $200-1000 for these boxes knew that a major retrace was coming.

1 Like

I knew it was probable but I bought a master set for $1K. :slightly_frowning_face:

It did come with BGS 9.5 Reverse Holo Charizard. The rest of the cards are hit or miss on pack fresh Evolutions… often off centered and/or factory line.

It wasn’t intended as an investment just because I really wanted the set and didn’t want to open packs (at insane prices) to get the cards. I like having it as a binder set since the value isn’t as crazy as base set and I can flip through for nostalgia.

But I’m not sure the master set ever retraces much below say $500… no? So I didn’t do THAT bad. Heck, maybe in the long, long run it still gets back to $1K+. Not selling regardless.

Heck, if the boxes come back down, maybe I’ll buy to open in hopes to upgrade some of my lesser centered or factory line cards. Then again, I should really just buy singles to do that!

1 Like

Can you point to a part of the market that hasn’t preformed very poorly the past several months?

To call it a ‘major retrace’ on Evolutions is quite a stretch.

@parkermrparker The $400-500 dollar boxes are scams brother. There have been a handful of them each day for months now. Boxes are selling between $700-$850.

1 Like

I said “was coming” it will keep on going down, those prices were and are not sustainable. Still if someone paid like 80-200 for those boxes they will have absolutely nothing to fear, is mostly the people who bought at the peak and to the hype.

Of course everything is short-mid term, perhaps in x years we will be laughing at how “cheap” a $400 evolution box was but that we can’t foresee.

Its hard to really compare the performance of Evolutions currently to other sets/eras i.e WOTC or Hidden Fates as they all have their own intricacies that you just cant see in a small time period. Once you zoom out over a larger time horizon you will begin to see separation in performance.

There’s so many statements people make to fit their belief but you can equally find many instances of their statement not applying to another set/card with the same fundamentals. i.e everyone saying low pop/scarse items going up while everything else going down in this downturn is simply not true yet many repeat this statement everytime theres a random EX/WOTC holo thats sold for a record price, theres equally been many other EX/WOTC Holo that have fallen 30% in the last 2-3 months with the same Pop fundamentals.

Evolutions however is still holding pretty well atleast in the UK for booster boxes but I do believe its just a matter of time before the PSA returns create too much downward pressure and they hit some sort of floor before its at the point people purchase it for fun.

1 Like

How’s evolutions boxes doing?

Personally, sealed Cases scare me. I hold no collectors value to the shipping box the products came packaged in just cause there’s some label and a worded tape. I only want the verifiable sealed boxes and there’s only one way to make sure you didn’t get knockoffs, fakes or trash. The shipping box it comes in is a nice bonus, but having it sealed is honestly just too risky IMO. I open all my sealed cases for this reason but I do keep the box since it literally is sized to fit and fits well. Even if I was in a position to buy direct from Pokemon with receipt in hand, I would feel too anxious to not at least open the box to make sure Pokemon didn’t screw up the order.

3 Likes

That makes sense. I’ve had that thought with a base set case. There is inherently a lot of faith in the deal.

2 Likes

About $700 on average

1 Like

It’s probably time for a small update.

It’s been 5 months, 18 days since my quoted post.
Evolutions Charizard has seen a mindblowing pop increase since then of 4713, an increase of 52%, and an average of 28 charizards a day.

Meanwhile, the base set unlimited Charizard pop has seen an increase of 5932, an increase of 30%, and an average of 35 charizards a day, with a distribution spread far deeper into the lower pops.

If we look at PSA 10s, PSA 10 Evo is 1.9% of the total pop of the card. Unlimited Charizard PSA 10 is 1.7%.

Also, you will see there is now 2615 more PSA 9 Evo charizards than PSA 9 Base set unlimited charizards.

I think that’s pretty crazy. Considering there’s still such a huge amount of sealed product and ungraded cards.

I was going to start a new thread but the continuation of this one is likely more appropriate for these comments. I’ll do some larger updates soon.

7 Likes