English Charizard VMAX Hitting 200+ on eBay

Posted this on the price forums but for some reason I had to move it here.

Been tracking ebay last few days with this card. Its a regular ultra rare. Not a full art, not a hyper rare, not a gold card, and not from a holiday set or is a special promo.

www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2064927.m570.l1313.TR7.TRC3.A0.H0.Xcharizard+vmax.TRS1&_nkw=charizard+vmax&_sacat=0

I know cards from the pre-release get slighly inflated but Ive never seen anything like this in the last 7 years of selling Pokemon cards. At first I thought it was fake bids or the 1st one that sold for $175 was a fluke, but nope. Plenty of these being bought for over 200. I predict darkness ablaze boxes to hit over $100 very quickly.

Im thinking people must be so bored from covid-19 that they are spending this kind of money. Normally Id see this card going for 20-30 bucks tops. There might even be a secret rare one in september. Is this nuts or what?

Itā€™s 1 of 7 Vmax in the set (i.e. 1:7 boxes if they didnā€™t short print it compared to others). It should be the same price as Evolutions FA M. Charizard ($50) in my opinion. I saw a sale of $325 on FB yesterday people are out of their minds.

Man, modern Charizard cards probably come close to being one of the most over hyped things on the planet lol

6 Likes

Itā€™s not nuts, itā€™s totally expected. Pokemon TCG is arguably the most popular itā€™s ever been, hype is increasing, itā€™s what people are willing to pay given current demand. There is 0 utility in being salty over the price other people are willing to pay for Pokemon cards. Doesnā€™t matter what you or anyone else ā€˜thinksā€™ it should be worth. Something is worth what someone else is willing to pay for it, and if that annoys you then thatā€™s your problem.

timmy remembers when corona godzilla was selling for 400 plus for the foil and 100-200 for the regular ones, now they are 8-10 for regular and about 20 for foil.

8 Likes

LOL who said Im being salty? Pokemon is my job. I dont personally spend money on it. And I think people have to be pretty dumb to waste 300 dollars on a regular ultra rare card from a standard set.

And its the corona that is driving up the prices. Hidden fates cards didnt go up 2-3x the amount due to pokemon gaining more popularity in one week. You cant go to most local game stories to buy cards at the moment. You cant go to a tournaments and get cards. And even if you could, you risk your life doing so, hence the premium. Outside of corona, nothing has changed in the last 6 months.

Iā€™m just increasingly asking myself how many of the people buying ā€œcontemporaryā€ cards, the latest Zards especially, do so completely organically and to keep them forever. Thereā€™s just way more of them to potentially flood the market, than say WotC or anything limited modern. I like modern cards and Iā€™m not saying any of this is ā€œwrongā€ or something, but this dam of demand at the high prices is holding back a big potential flood of cards.
Charizard is super popular, but I imagine any inflection point created by organic demand only would be way lower than for the older ones.
Also, this will probably be moved to the Giant Market Thread :wink:

Yeah I think its bogus the current prices and once corona is over that a bub-ble will burst. Between too many graders and too many people holding sealed product unlike in the past along with more adult collectors who dont destroy cards like kids and buyouts, its not sustainable.

We also live in a world to where people are more concerned about the next hot thing and have more short attention spans. I remember hidden fates being so hot upon release and then a few months later nobody cared. Same with Shining Legends, Generations, Evolutions, etc. And same with the next holiday sets for the next few years.

I have these same ideas about pricings. Then I stopped posting these questions on e4. Most of the people here are hypes, the higher the price, the healthier the world. As long as the price goes up, they donā€™t care if its Charizard or Ditto, they are smart, they always have a reason behind the hypes. Showing respect for you and this post bro, take care.

As I said on your previous thread, discuss this in the Giant Market Thread. Itā€™s not that hard.