eBay Garbage

“Noticed you have offers open, so instead of actually, you know, making an offer, I’m going to ask you what is the least amount of money I can pay for this item?”

3 Likes

I do it all the time never had a prob with anyone. Its how you phrase it.

1 Like

Heres a good laugh

I had no idea this was a real thing, still not sure but i found this.

6 Likes

I think this is actually pretty interesting. Nice spot. Its a shame the card isn’t much but still interesting history.

2 Likes

This has been happening to me a lot with Japanese sellers whose business model is to list cards they don’t own. They don’t update their listings on eBay or make sure the card they are pretending to own is actually available.

So I buy a card from them on eBay. 24 hours later they apologize and say the card is sold out. They then cancel the listing as “buyer requested cancellation.”

I know it’s inconsequential and I should not let it bother me. But buying a card I really want and then receiving a cancellation because they never owned the card to begin with is really frustrating. It is insult to injury that they also use “buyer requested cancellation” in these circumstances. No I did not. You listed a card you didn’t own. :rage:

10 Likes

And the reason you don’t just make an offer is because?

I have never once had a customer do this (regardless of how they phrase it) and actually end up making a purchase, which is why I don’t even respond to those types of messages anymore. It’s even worse than customers asking if they can see more photos, which also results in no purchase 99 percent of the time.

The only way I could ever see this being applicable is if you run out of the four or five offers eBay allows you to make on the item, and if it gets to that point, chances are, you are low-balling anyway.

5 Likes

I prefer direct contact. I get plenty that come to me aswell I have no probs and have sold. I do tend to sell more niche and rare items aswell as buy that so that’s probably part of the reason aswell. Had plenty of great chats and made many useful contacts.

I think choosing anything else aside from “Buyer requested cancellation” gets a ding on your seller account (“Out of stock” option counts as a demerit, from what I’ve read), so this is likely the only explanation you’ll ever see for cancellations, regardless of the reason.

1 Like

I wish it made me have to verify that in some way. :rage:

You can always report the seller account for “non-selling.” It’s an eBay policy that you must chose the correct cancellation reason.

Cancel Orders

You may need to cancel an order because the item is broken or out of stock, you made a mistake in your listing, the buyer requested to cancel the order, there’s a problem with the buyer’s shipping address, or the buyer hasn’t paid. Make sure you use the correct process in My eBay or Seller Hub to cancel the order. Learn more about How sellers can cancel an order.

What to do

• Cancel the order within 30 days of the sale
  • Use the correct process in My eBay or Seller Hub to cancel the order:
    • In My eBay go to Sold, or in Seller Hub go to Orders
    • Find the order you want to cancel, and from More actions, select Cancel this order
  • Choose a reason for the cancellation and follow the on-screen instructions. The “Buyer Hasn’t Paid” reason code will be displayed if the buyer hasn’t paid for the item within 4 calendar days

What not to do

• Don’t cancel the order more than 30 days after the sale
  • Don’t use an incorrect process outside of My eBay or Seller Hub to cancel the order
  • Don’t select the wrong cancellation reason in order to avoid a defect on your account, receive a final value fee credit, or remove or block buyer feedback

Learn more about our Order cancellation policy.

2 Likes

This is too reasonable a suggestion. Please reconsider this thought.

2 Likes

Dear all “struggling and stressed” college students - maybe you shouldn’t be buying black labels.

26 Likes

Seem to be having this happen to me right now. Accepted a buyer’s offer with “pre-selected payment” two days ago. Still no payment. So glad eBay is doing such a great job rolling this out!

1 Like

What do you do when a buyer disagrees with your condition assessment and asks for a full refund even though your listing has clear high quality images of the cards? Feels like someone is trying to rob me…

I even accepted their offer on the card and gave them a killer deal :frowning:

Unfortunately it’s usually just easier to accept the return and move on. If they want to return it, they’ll pretty much always be allowed to. It definitely sucks but fighting it won’t get you anywhere, they’ll be able to return it regardless.

2 Likes

What a shame… really took the wind out of my sales this evening. I sure hope they actually send them back…

1 Like

Agreed with @jonbo on this one.

This is what pushed me away from selling raw on eBay toward slabbed. I couldn’t stand the number of inquires for additional pictures (I provided 12!) and arguments about condition. I still sell raw on TCGPlayer, but that’s far clearer cut because it is mostly modern NM.

2 Likes

DO you best to document the opening of the returned item, and inform them you will be doing so. They should have no issue with this. If they do scam you, you can at least be justified in slamming them on feedback, and perhaps, get eBay in your corner…

I agree with this and hate that it’s true. It’s almost never worth fighting a buyer unless you have ironclad evidence that you’re being scammed. No matter how annoying or inconvenient it is, I just do what the buyer says. My rage in the moment is not worth turning it into a weeks long affair if I said/they said.

1 Like

Ordered the above for £300 or circa $375 USD from a oglivi84 on eBay, got sent this:

Contacted the seller saying he’s clearly sent me something completely different from the images , described as near mint in the category but he’s saying in the description he said signs of wear ( clearly used different images and near mint category as a form of abuse to mislead)

Threatened me with saying he’s contacted eBay saying I’ve damaged it, I’ve spoken to eBay and they said to not worry and to wait for a return label which I’ve now been sent.

Ridiculous

18 Likes