Ebay Authenticity

Hello! I recently bought two graded cards that later got authenticated through EBay. I would prefer it to go straight to me but whatever an extra week is not the worst. Now I got a notification that it would not be getting delivered for another two weeks. It got authenticated last week so it’ll be nearly 3 weeks after they authenticated for me to receive it. Anyone else deal with this? I really hope they give the option to remove the eBay authenticity check in the future. I get the plus from the sellers perspective but as a buyer, a graded card would be hard to fake/easy to spot if cracked.

2 Likes

Be patient. The delivery estimation from eBay Authentication is often wrong.

I don’t see this happening. eBay Authentication has saved eBay a bunch of headaches, returns, etc.

2 Likes

Could be a coincidence but I’m a week+ delayed on a recent order after it got to the authenticator. Usually it’s pretty quick. The last few orders the authentication’s only added three or four days onto shipping time. Maybe something’s going on.

1 Like

For graded cards, its basically a middle man service to make sure the correct card is sent. Its win win win win. Seller gets protection, buyer gets protection, ebay doesnt have false claims they have to deal with, and CGC gets a little extra work.

2 Likes

CGC authenticates raw cards and PSA authenticates graded cards for eBay. So if you live on the East Coast of the U.S. and order an expensive raw card, the authentication won’t take as long because CGC is in Florida. If you live on the West Coast of the U.S. and order an expensive graded card, the authentication won’t take as long because PSA is in California.

The frustration comes when you live in Maine and you buy a graded card from New York, but it’s sent to Southern California for authentication, and then back to your residence in Maine. What a trip!

2 Likes

As far as the authenticity guarantee goes… give buyers the ability to waive it. And yes I know, especially after hanging out here, how much BS sellers deal with on a regular basis. But hear me out here. So. Allow the buyer the ability to waive it. But. If you do, you waive your rights. In other words you can’t open a case, request a refund, leave neutral or negative feedback, etc.

I buy from a lot of the same sellers so having a PSA graded card from a seller I trust have to be sent to be authenticated is pretty silly. It also just allows more room for error in terms of lost or damaged packages, etc. And this is a good example. Again, maybe it’s just coincidence but I’ve had a card hung up in California for over a week now. When it could’ve just been shipped to me and I would’ve had it last week.

3 Likes

eBay finally does something for sellers and you want it removed?

This isn’t a bad idea.

1 Like

I would love to hear some of the bad stories sellers have experienced. Is it buyers saying they received the wrong card even though they got the correct card?

3 Likes

Outside of the thread pfm linked, authenticity guarantee for graded cards has been a great service. I’ve done over 100 or so sales through Authenticity and only had 2 bad buyers try and open a claim. One was that thread above, another was someone who bought a card and thought it was 1st edition, even though that wasn’t stated anywhere. Ebay shut that one down after a 5 minute phone call.

I can’t speak on ungraded cards, as I rarely sell anything ungraded. But I’ve heard they take longer to process than graded.

3 Likes

Gotcha. Yeah I definitely get the seller’s side of return scams, stupid return requests like slab scratches. It just boggles me that two graded slabs takes over three weeks to be processed, authenticated and then shipped. If it’s around a week I wouldn’t complain. Already graded cards are already pretty hard to tamper/fake accurately without any signs so that’s why I’d prefer to receive it directly from the seller. As a buyer I know I wouldn’t return scam anyone but the seller doesn’t know that. So yes, from the seller seems like a perfect solution. From the buyer, if it takes a weekish we can just suck it up and tell ourselves this wait prevents others from getting scammed. But 3-4 weeks is ridiculous

That just doesn’t seem worth it at all for ebay. Force the authentication on the buyer and the seller and ebay have some insurance/protection against scams.

2 Likes

Agreed. Consider it a free insurance policy again losing your time to having to return or get refunds for cards not as described.

I have to agree with @wooltchi . But also, if the buyer accidentally waives it (IDK… there are a lot of noobs and morons on this little mud ball) then they have no recourse. I would almost say, if anything, the seller can waive it, but there is no relinquishing of rights, etc. HOWever, that becomes a big headache for eBay, which is one big reason they instituted this thing in the first place…

1 Like

I got an update that both cards will be delivered this Friday. The first one would have taken 16 days, while the second one only 11. That’s honesty alright to me.

1 Like

Same here. They must’ve just been having problems because I’ve never had it take more than a day or two on their end.

1 Like