eBay authentication process

Has anyone here used eBay’s authentication process?

I bought my PSA 8 shadowless charizard from eBay and obviously I made sure the seller had good feedback. Checked the PSA case from photos to make sure it had the PSA markings on the bottom right on front and back as well as checked the cert on PSA.

My question is what does the authentication process do exactly? Just add another level of certainty?

Also it delays shipping by a week but that’s no biggie.

Thanks in advance for any insight

Yes, just another added security.
You buy the card, the seller ships it to an eBay address, they double check the card, they ship it to you.
It minimizes the risk you receive something you did not buy and it risk for the seller that you claim it is not what you bought.

1 Like

Oh okay, awesome. Definitely helps with vintage cards. Have you used eBay’s authentication process before?

I’ve bought cards that went through the process. It adds a bit of time, but most of the time just a couple of days, nothing too bad. Nice to buy with an extra layer of security. Never sold anything but I can imagine it beeing pretty similar.

1 Like

Okay, great. Thank you for the help and info

1 Like

I’ve sold and bought through the eBay authenticity program. The process is very easy and helpful at deterring counterfeit sales.

For Buyers: The seller sends the slab to PSA for authentication (near Los Angelas, California). PSA inspects the slab, repackages it, and then sends it to you in an expedited box (USPS for U.S. buyers). Depending on where you live (from PSA’s location in California), the process can take anywhere from an extra day to a week+. This process is the same for expensive raw cards, but it goes to CGC (Florida) instead.

For Sellers: eBay provides you PSA’s authenticity guarantee address (for slabs) or CGC’s authenticity guarantee address (for raw cards). You mail the slab/card, and then you are protected for the rest of the transaction. You will not receive payment until the item is authenticated.

2 Likes

Ah got it. So it does go to PSA. That actually makes me feel a lot better than cgc for some reason.

I’m on the east coast so that explains why it won’t get here until next week.

So CGC slabs go to PSA? :joy:

Yeah, all of PSA’s competitors do! :joy:

1 Like