Ebay activity suddenly went quiet

This happen to me as well last week. I listed a few graded scream promos (with promoted listings) and they all got <10 views in the first 24 hours which seemed really atypical. Good to know it’s not just me.

Ya I have every era and damn near every set from Wotc to sword and shield listed. Something sells everyday. Did 3k in sales last week which Is a lot for my small store

Using that money on 1st edition Shining Raichu PSA 9, 1st edition shining Mewtwo PSA 9 and 1st edition Shining Kabutops PSA 9 :slightly_smiling_face:

Edit: I’m not selling on ebay tho. That might be the difference. When I listed my shining Zard and Umbreon first editions they didn’t get many views or interest on ebay but sold pretty fast on Tcgplayer

3 Likes

Listed about 50-60 PSA cards over the weekend and have sold 4 or 5 so far. I usually list a little above market with OBO enabled and have had some decent offers. Also curious how many folks may be waiting to see how PWCC pans out

Sharp reduction this past month but still doing 5-10 items a day. Not stressing it. I also have been slacking on listing new cards. Have been focusing on the merch side of things. Do agree people are pretty focused on celebrations and potentially saving for pwcc deals. Will see how the next few months pan out with the holidays.

I had to turn off international (only selling inside Canada and USA right now) because of so many PWE issues. I suspect some of my sales decline can be attributed to that, but i think still the buyers are less plentiful than this time last year. Seems like a consolidation period for a lot of people, aside from whats going on with each new set.

When I was buying I can’t even tell you how many plain white envelope packages never showed up. At this point now that I’m selling even $15 cards get a tracking number. I just cross my fingers they buy multiple cards

1 Like

Interesting you guys have had a bad experience with the PWE. Is this specifically a stamped PWE shipment or the eBay tracked shipment for cards valued under $20?

Every bad experience I had was when people send with no tracking number. I was actually receiving like 75 percent of my orders but about 25 percent or so never showed up which is a huge number. I rather just not risk it. Plus any buyer can simply say something didn’t arrive if you don’t even have tracking to show it arrived. Obviously you can still get scammed with a tracking number but it’s less likely

Shipping costs in canada are more than $15 for a tracking. It averages to about $18 for tracking in canada. Slightly less to usa from canada for some reason, about 17

Just use the eBay standard envelope. Tracking only costs $0.53 for items $20 and under.

4 Likes

^ Yes this works great. Also, instead of shutting off international shipping altogether it may be appropriate to just charge a flat cost (I charge $14.99) on all items with combined shipping. I will not send international packages without tracking any longer due to how many PWE’s went “missing” in the past. This way people have the opportunity to buy if they want a card bad enough and it encourages them to buy more than one item.

1 Like

Ive had this in the past where my bundles will go from however many sales a day down to absolutely nothing, all I did was change slight wording in the title and change the picture to an almost identical picture. Something about making those edits seemed to relight the fire and send it back to performing well

ebay’s black box algorithm is very weird and I feel your pain on this one haha

1 Like

I’m a buyer from outside of the US so perhaps my experience is different, but I find the prices are just too high on eBay for a lot of cards I go for. With the exception of a few auctions I’ve won and the odd deal I’ve gotten making offers, I’ve been buying most of my cards on PWCC Vault instead and on average I’ve gotten them at least 20-25% less than on eBay for same cards, at least in the past 3-4 months. This is also referring to higher end graded cards, I still use eBay to find card lots and other stuff.

The other problem I have with eBay is the Global Shipping Program. Not only can it be extremely slow, but I’ve had 1 package lost and I think another one may be lost that I ordered recently. Tons of complaints online about it and the import duties can be brutal. It’s nice that eBay has a good buyer protection, but I’d rather have the cards than the refund.

Anyway, I’ll still use eBay as a source as it is a massive market for Pokemon cards and other collectibles… but I’m really not a fan of it overall.

3 Likes

eBay will cuck your traffic unless you are listing on a consistent schedule. I’ve seen it in my own metrics - was the same way a few months ago selling a slab or two a day, had no returns come back so no listings and my traffic has steadily declined.

As soon as I list a few items I start getting queries, offers etc again.

If you are interested in improving on eBay, there is a channel I watch (Daily Refinement) where the guy works eBay full time selling a heap. He gives a lot of helpful tips on improving with eBay.

1 Like

So I didn’t think I’d have anything material to add to this to this conversation because I am just a hobby seller. But the people saying “you need to list more to sell more” are clearly on to something, because I had multiple listings that had languished in inactivity for months and hadn’t sold despite multiple price cuts which sold immediately after I posted some of my doubles from Celebrations.

Agreed. I’m probably on par with Stagecoach, always having < 200 listings at a time. I think as well, if you list items in chunks, and more regularly, you can find a balance that keeps some attention, but doesn’t burn so much time. (I take tons of pics, then list in pieces every week or so.)

My sales have been slow this month too. I do think that ultimately, if someone wants a card, they are gonna find it

I have a couple of items that are listed as the cheapest on the market, and priced well below what others have sold for recently. Having no luck with sales. I think most people (not all) are buying only the current set, and not focused on adding pieces that are not from 2021.

1 Like

I listed a few dozen evolutions cards today barely beating the market low and half of them sold before I was done listing them all.

5 Likes

Listed a bunch of PSA cards last week and they are flying, can’t see I am noticing anything on my end. Not even really anything high end; just some junk slabs, some modern and some WOTC.