Ebay activity suddenly went quiet

I saw someone post this on Facebook and the same seems to have happened to me recently.

I was selling cards basically every day, the past couple of months being some of my busiest ever and then all of a sudden a couple of weeks ago my sales went quiet. I’m getting 2-5 views a day on most listings and these are reasonable items like PSA wotc holos at current market value, I’ve been doing this a long time so it seems strange, I don’t see how the demand fell off a cliff considering decent products are still out of stock everywhere.

I opted out of the GSP recently (after them charging £60 to post a single card) but even so, there should be a lot more interest from the UK alone than 2 views per day on PSA 8 wotc holos. Maybe it’s something to do with the 80% off FVF? Does anyone have any idea? I’m getting disproportionately higher watchers compared to views so maybe ebay is burying my items except for those specifically searching for those cards.

I noticed that sometimes ebay seems to change things and it can act strange, at the same time that my sales went quiet I was also struggling to pick up many decent buys with most of the listings being modern commons and noticed searching for “Pokemon cards” hides some results that you would see when searching for “Pokemon” for example

4 Likes

Have you been adding listings? I had a slower monthish, but once I starting adding listing sales increased.

8 Likes

I’ve had similar things happen recently, but as Scott said, I noticed more stuff would get sold when I started listing more often. Not sure how big your eBay page is, but I’m quite small scale I’d say. Only a few hundred items, and most are meh condition and stuff i’m just willing to let sit for an eternity and a half haha!

Not sure if this has any effect, just spitballing, but maybe it could have to do with recently received feedback. Not necessarily about bad or good, just If you’ve gotten any over the period leading up to your drought. I recently had none and wasn’t selling much, but then I got like 6 at once and then a bunch more items sold. Might just be coincidence, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they prioritize that in algorithms. I also track everything, but am not diligent with dates and stuff so it’s just a hunch regarding timing in my book.

1 Like

I’ve definitely noticed a decrease recently as well. Most of my stuff is older, but I do have to wonder how many people are holding back on buying right now in anticipation of the release of Celebrations this week.

2 Likes

Yes I have had a sharp reduction in sales over the last month compared to the 3 months before that

Have experienced the same on Cardmarket. I sometimes had 10-25 small cards sell per month over the summer and during busier phases, now I have less than one sale per week. But I had more people than ever ask for photos on 1-5€ cards who of course didn’t buy when I did bother to send one. :relieved:

4 Likes

@oldskoolpokemon :eyes:

I’ve done all right recently but had 0 sales Monday. It isn’t that atypical as I’ll do between 0 and 10 items most days with between 20 an 50 items a week generally. A lot of variance. If I throw up 200 listings in a day or send offers out to interested buyers i might do 20 to 30 in a day.

Maybe it had something to do with FB, IG, and what’s app being down who knows maybe a lot of Pokemon people genuinely end up on ebay from ads over there.

1 Like

I haven’t sold anything for a month. No low ballers either, just no traffic. I am not a good reference though as I would typically sell 2-5 items a month.

Due to no sales, I keep buying :blush:

1 Like

Yeah I’m hardly a prolific user of eBay - I noticed that for some items, I’m getting more views than usual, while others are getting less views than usual. I sell most things I’m ready to part with in a .99 cent auction though so I haven’t really had problems with selling in general (and all sales have also been for market value, sometimes a bit more or less).

Were any of you who have noticed a drop-off in sales selling frequently to PWCC buyers before the split?

Pokémon is dead, sorry everyone.

10 Likes

I’m seeing more paper hand listings than I have in a while, so I hope whatever the slowdown is, that it continues. Otherwise those PSA 10 WOTC holos will tend to stay hidden. FOLD, lads, FOLD!

2 Likes

Speaking for myself, I can’t even keep up with newly listed items in my saved searches. I wouldn’t be surprised if the sheer number of daily and cumulative listings is just spreading the impressions/views thin. Maybe not the only variable but definitely one to consider

3 Likes

Yeah - I’ve had the same thing happen to me recently and I’ve thought this to be a good reason why. Aside from the problem, the solution to me is to post more on there and keep patiently waiting.

This is what happened last time I was naive enough to send a picture of card.

7 Likes

Small fry here, and I’ve noticed sales have slowed too.

1 Like

Everyone is either bulking up on 25th anniversary product or saving up to get the deals on the next PWCC monthly :wink:

6 Likes

I listed a bunch of celebrations singles last night and sold out while I slept. Just have to have listed what people are buying. Check those singles prices. :grimacing:

2 Likes

I’m not sure how much this really matters with Pokemon cards because I feel most people will actively look for specific cards and try to find the best price, unless you are listing something more common with dozens if not hundreds of similar listings. From what I gather there are a few ways to possibly help out your eBay algorithm. List consistently, items that have sat for awhile adjust the price (supposedly even raising the price) offer free shipping, accept returns, and have a short handling time. I do not know if any of these things actually help show up higher but I would assume eBay has some sort of algorithm in play.

This happens to me all the time. What I do is revise my listings by changing a few words of the title, or shuffling the photos around. Once eBay updates the changes, views begin to come in again.