E4 Pokemon VGC Tournament - Generation 2 (and beyond!)

It’s time for a second gen tournament!

We will be doing the second iteration in the E4 VGC tournament, this time generation two! That means you can use pokemon from both Kanto and Jhoto!

We will again be using Pokemon Showdown for this iteration. Navigate through and ensure you are using the “[Gen 2] OU” format for team building. I’ll randomize pairs and message both of you after slots close. Its on both parties to participate! There is no timeline for the tournament, just try to keep it realistic.

Additionally, its my intention to roll right into the next generation once this tournament culminates. So generations 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 will happen as well. The winner of each generation will participate in a E4 Worlds Tournament!! and receive a badge of recognition for their prospective generation win.

Lastly, it is undecided yet if this will be a true VGC style regarding doubles or singles for generation 3 and on but we will cross that bridge when we get there.

Please post below if you are interested, slots close on November 26th.

Must have either 50 posts on the forum or 1000 messages on discord to participate.

Have fun everyone!

8 Likes

Will be a lot of fun! Count me in :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Put me in coach

3 Likes

Let’s do it
IMG_2316

8 Likes

In

2 Likes

I will play

2 Likes

Looking forward to 200 turn games with everyone!

6 Likes

in!

2 Likes

I have never done this, so expect to face only damaging moves and no stat increase moves if you face me. But I will try!

3 Likes

Sounds awesome! I wish I had time to play but end of the year is coming in fast. I might play in later generations if stars align. :sweat_smile:

Good luck to everyone playing!

2 Likes

Did people that signed up for the Gen I one know what they were doing? I might want to try, but I’ll probably have no clue what I’m doing, like @thymeee.

I just took a look at the Pokemon Showdown site and at least it looks like the team builder functionality helps you build a pokemon even if it’s complete nonsense (e.g. recommends an EV spread for whatever move set you choose) :sweat_smile: And also lets you know what are commonly used pokemon and moves and items.

5 Likes

Good question, last years event was quite competitive. The site and the format [Gen 2 OU] (OU stands for Over Used) lend itself to make you a pretty powerful team 95% of the time.

Last year we had plenty of friendly matches during the event as well - I was knocked out at round one so thats what we did :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Im in

2 Likes

Missed the first tournament. I am so in!

2 Likes

@sherotcg

1 Like

Forgot to ask but will this tournament be best of 3 or double elimination?

The Gen 1 tournament was only best of 1 and while obviously easier on people’s schedules, I felt elimination after one game was a tad harsh.

3 Likes

I 100% agree and am highly considering a best of 3 for that reason. Unless there is a major outcry against it thats the format we’ll try and if its not liked we can switch back for gen 3.

Will confirm the format once pairs are made!

3 Likes

Double elim I think could run smoothly for singles so you aren’t necessarily fighting the same team upwards of 3 teams, though it may take a bit more time to set up.

1 Like

Thats a good point, so a losers and winners bracket right?

Yeah essentially you would have a winners bracket every competitor starts in and once they lose they fall to a secondary losers bracket where if they lose they are out. If you win the loser’s bracket though you face the winner of the winner’s bracket and have to beat them twice to win the whole tournament. Heres a more detailed explanation;