Do you use sticky tabs when submitting cards for grading?

For context I’m talking about these things. Do you use them? Just curious what people think

1 Like

Yes to color code for fun

4 Likes

Unless I see evidence that it is actually helpful, or grading companies request me to do so, I won’t.

Hell, if any of the above ever becomes true, I will probably make some kind of custom sleeves with a built-in pull flap and save everyone the effort. :grin:

6 Likes

If penny sleeves with pull-tabs built in ever become mass-available in the UK, I’ll buy loads of them! Would be great for selling singles to my customers also.

1 Like

I do it for the convenience of Graded Gem/Ludkins and the like. But if they also just cut the cards out (for pregrading for example with Ludkins) to put them into card savers, I might just stop doing it lol.

2 Likes

@burnedos +1 I don’t know what PSA’s handling process is, but I use them in case it helps the guys at Ludkins process cards more easily.

It would cost $0 (well a few bucks to update packing instructions on their website) for a grading company to recommend this. None of them do AFAIK. I feel like that is telling if it doesn’t fall into recommended pack instructions as if it was easier for them it’d be a no brainer to recommend the customer do some added small step. I do realize PSA misses many other “no-brainers” though too.

I’d imagine the use of tabs is way more common with low volume submitters. This isn’t to say “only rookies do it because it’s stupid”, but mainly just an added time thing that adds no benefit IMO. I’ve handled tens of thousands of cards in and out of semi rigids, hundreds being with tabs from collection buys and there is no difference to me. I don’t use the tab. Perhaps they could even be a pain in the butt in some stages? No idea how long the card spends in and out of the card savers vs just sleeved before going into the case. I just don’t see a PSA worker who has likely handled 1M+ cards in card savers tugging on some little piece of paper for the small percentage (guess) of cards that come with them. More likely, like me they would handle them normally as if the tab wasn’t there.

I did a quick search as I was pretty sure this has come up a few times. I did find Charlie @funmonkey54 mention this. www.elitefourum.com/t/pull-tabs/26219/1

5 Likes

I should do it all the time, but so far I have only used them “sometimes”. I submit with Ludkins as well, so I’m sure it would help. I need to try and get it done next time.

Yey let’s go third option!

2 Likes

Never would think to tab a semi-rigid, top-loader I understand

It’s effectively tape… Why intentionally put tape anywhere near your cards? Additionally I find that handling cards with them they tend to get in the way when removing the cards from their sleeves.

1 Like

I’m using them for submitting my cards in toploaders to Ludkins, as sometimes the penny sleeves cling to the sides of toploaders making them a big pain to pull out (and potentially risking damage to the card).

I do, but for my own benefit. I have no idea if it helps Ludkins or PSA, but it helps me when I have to reexamine a card or something!

Real talk for the Ludkins submitters here:

Cardsavers: Flags are only helps if the savers are undersized

Toploaders: Critically helpful to use flags

That said, it depends on the type of flags. If you’re using the ones made of paper, they tend to just get in the way and slow things down. The smaller, plastic ones are great if sending in toploaders. I attached a pic.

But the real pro tip isn’t even using flags. Use cling wrap instead of tape and I’ll love you forever. Tape on your savers and loaders earn a one way ticket to the shadow realm, Jimbo.

5 Likes

This poll should be, who binge watched @gemmintpokemon videos when getting back into the hobby and who didn’t.

5 Likes

We carried the post-it note industry.

It’s not required when you submit, however it doesn’t hurt to make it easier for a grader to remove the card. I’ve asked a few times if it’s helpful (in person) and have not got a straight response. I believe we need to hear from a grader directly to confirm.

Would be quite the twist of events if they’re removed or actually cause more work.

3 Likes

I do because I’ve always been told that they help the graders pull them out of the savers. Now I’m less sure haha. On a personal level I do because whether it’s top loaders or card savers, the pull tabs make it infinitely easier to get the penny sleeve out of the outer shell. I also use pull tabs when I sell cards ungraded because it’s easier for the buyer to then remove the card out of the top loader.

1 Like

I use the flags when I send to Ludkins in top loaders. Glad to hear it helps on the receiving end.

Tape goes on the outside of the package, not the inside. Or at least I wish everyone would do it that way. I’m not sure if I’ve ever had an experience more frustrating than getting mailed a collection where every single toploader had a piece of tape over the top. Every. Single. One. If it wasn’t such a good deal I would have returned it straight off the bat…

1 Like

We once got a submission of over 1000 cards where every single card was taped into a toploader, teambagged, then that was also taped. Bundled in 50s, taped into bubblewrap, put in a large box that was taped inside of a larger box that was also taped.

8 Likes