Do you put sticky tabs on the back of your card sleeves when submitting for grading?

Do you tab your card submissions?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Example:

1 Like

I wear white gloves when i open evolving skies too

13 Likes

I only handle my slabs while wearing gloves after putting the slabs in a sleeve and a slab guard

1 Like

I heard they cut open the sleeve to avoid potentially damaging the card if they were to try and pull it out from the top

2 Likes

PSA has actually publicly requested that people do not use stickers or pull tabs on the back of their penny sleeves when submitting cards these days. I used to because of GemMint videos, before I heard PSA’s preference.

10 Likes

Heard this from KetchumallCollectibles livestream too. Apparently they just cut the cardsaved on the side and then take out the penny sleeve

1 Like

This talk of cutting the card savers makes me weep for the environment. Part of me was hoping they were reused in some way.

I do use tabs, if for no other reason I bought literally 5000 of the things at a yard sale for $1. If I didn’t already have them, and have no other use for them, would probably not tab them.

3 Likes

That settles it then! Still, I like them for personal use. I don’t trust myself with cardsavers, I haven’t worked up a technique like I have with toploaders.

Hadn’t heard this! Good to know

i bought the cgc sleeves a while ago with the extended top that connected to the sleeves so i just use that lol

1 Like

is there any downside to including them if they cut open the cardsaver anyways, other than being a waste of plastic?

What was the reason for this?

I like to use them when mailing cards still. Also it’s fun to match them with color scheme of the card.

1 Like

PSA Japan explained this pretty clearly, not sure if PSA also had this answer in English:

PSA will do a pre-scan of each card upon arrival tho make sure they recorded the card’s initial condition. Putting sticky tabs will require extra effort for them to remove the tabs before scanning, plus some butter-fingers may damage the card when trying to remove the tabs, thus losing the meaning of “recording initial condition”.

While not mentioned in the FAQ, another reason is that placing tabs will add extra thickness to the surface, and if you had tabs attached to roughly the same spot on all sleeves, that thickness will add up to form reliefs and damage the cards if the band you use to hold the cards was too tight.

9 Likes

This is exactly the response I had read, thanks for posting

(Brace yourself) If you zoom in here you will see that the sticky notes are inside the penny sleeve within the card saver, not under them. This is because from 2015-2017 I thought their purpose was to pull the card out from the penny sleeve, not to pull the penny sleeve out of the card saver, so I stuck them directly to the back of the card.

30 Likes

:scream: :skull_and_crossbones: :ghost:

That definitely made me lol. Ive only ever used them as a way to distinguish cards that ive pre graded when i have multiple copies of the same card.

Did you end up grading them?

Yes that was an old pre - PSA send off pic on my phone lol. It never affected the grades which is why I didn’t think twice. I was also using regular post it notes and cutting them smaller with scissors, not the office pull tabs.

7 Likes

wow. that’s amazing. incredible collection. :clap:

1 Like