Distribution of PSA Pokemon cards showing count per set

I thought you guys might like to see this chart.

As always, if viewing on a computer, you can right click on the image and click “view image” to view an expanded version.
I will add a few comments:

• You are seeing more cards graded for the earlier sets due to demand and their market values. It doesn’t indicate the other sets are rarer on this data alone.
  • You see a large uptick in modern cards being graded, as it has become desirable to grade any nice cards we open these days and more and more people grade to flip immediately for a profit. Also these boxes are cheaper and easier to access.
  • The base set is a monster.

Special thanks to PichuFan for both providing the data I used, and for providing me with additional data.

I also want to follow up with some POP information to show how price increases have drawn new supply to the market, as more people grow incentivised to grade their cards. This is after the Go Boom, unfortunately I didn’t have data from July 2016 (Pokemon Go release date) which would perhaps shows an even larger concentration of grading submissions, but that would also depend on PSA’s backlog at that time. Also, some of these are likely due to regrades.

If you view the population charts on pokemonprice, you can see the rate of grading submissions slows presumably (but of course not entirely) in reaction to the falling prices in the market from their previous all time highs.
It just serves as a reminder to be cautious of placing too much value on POP reports.
A special thanks to PokemonPrice.com for their data.
Hopefully this thread is less contentious.

37 Likes

great post and data once again!

3 Likes

This is super cool! That is quite the valley from the beginning of the ex era to the end of the XY era.

1 Like

Is there a way to zoom in on the chart?

1 Like

@uponeagleswings, if you’re on your computer, right click on the chart and open the image in a new tab.

hey ty!

1 Like

Well done Rainbow.

1 Like

Great Graph! That is a huge dipe for base set 2 haha

Essentially expect a big supply response from neo and EX sets imo. Those 2 have run a lot and used to be “not worth grading” if they weren’t mint - gem mint quality.

2 Likes

Great graph and data! The moral is, grade everything now, so you can flip during the boom rather than be left out waiting for months on psa. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I think we will see pop growth from every set that has seen worthy price increases. Some additions will be from regrades, but there will be a lot of new supply for sure.

3 Likes

Great work! Is this combining Unlimited and First Ed. or only showing First Ed.?

This is good info. @rainbow , Glad you made it back to forum and could provide this thorough info about psa submissions.

Interesting to see XY Evolution graded 26,400 pops. Looks like many are trying to capture those elusive psa 10 charizards from the XY Evolutions set. Recently watched Derium’s xy charizards PSA returns, of the 88+ he submitted, 0 PSA 10’s. 3.4% PSA 10. 150 of 4328 submissions.

So what we can summarize from this is that Venusaur and Blastoise owners were sophisticated, dilligent, caring cards owners.
Charizard owners were childish, irresponsible, dry-brained cretins.

Got it.

This is a great look into the inside binder position damaging cards.

8 Likes

That’ll be really exciting to see. Even though I think there might not be that many cards out there. Especially if you compare for example TRR to TR, both were not highly desirable for the longest time but even though TRR has gained quite a lot of popularity over the past 2 or so years it’s still almost 1/10 of TR.

Unfortunately the data set didn’t have complete fidelity over the set variations, resulting in only the top level counts.
@dblast, that is very interesting.

I’ve always wondered some things about graders:
If they know what a card is worth, what bias this introduces - For example, if a grader saw a 9 that could pass as a 10 would some end up grading it a 10 just to have bragging rights for having graded one. Or if a grader were tempted to grade a card on their opinion of value instead of the card. Leading to strong 9’s that could have been 10’s, or the reverse if they didn’t like the card etc.
I’ve also wondered if they ever play it safe and grade it to the lower end because overgrading could cost PSA a pretty penny due to PSA’s policies for misgrading if it were ever contested.
Probably not enough to be worth thinking about.

1 Like

It doesn’t apply for xy charizards, the psa 10 last sold for $500. They are just hard to grade.3.34% or derium’s 0% recent… PSA grades cards much more valuable, but they have been extra stringent with 10s for that particular card.

I threw together a closer look at the EX series. I also indicated sets containing Charizard, mostly just to satisfy my own curiosity. There are some heavy swings in total count there, with clearly some significantly stronger sets than others in the mix.

7 Likes

Does anyone know what happened to team magma aqua? Such low pops… was the print super low like I suspect?

1 Like

I wouldn’t think print numbers would vary too much between such close sets. Popularity, sure ( I could be well off the mark though).

I suspect its a mixture of demand and the assortment of cards available that are considered worth grading within in each set.
For example:

EX Team Magma vs Team Aqua
14 Holos
7 ex
total = 21

EX Dragon
15 Holos
9 ex
total =24
EX Unseen Forces
19 Holos
14 ex