Discussion: Big 3 Pokemon Autographs

With all of the recent interest in autographed cards, I thought it would be interesting to have a discussion on who the “Big 3” of Pokemon autographed cards would be. Of course, there is a plethora of illustrators for Pokemon nowadays, but my goal is to narrow down the illustrators to those that are most historically significant for the trading card game and Pokemon in general.

Here is my list and reasoning below:

Big 3 Illustrators: Ken Sugimori, Mitsuhiro Arita, and Kagemaru Himeno

Honorable mentions: Hironobu Yoshida, Atsuko Nishida, and Keiji Kinebuchi

Reasoning: Ken Sugimori is pivotal in importance for numerous reasons. He was with Game Freak since the beginning with Satoshi Tajiri. He designed many of the most popular original Pokemon including Blastoise, Venusaur, and Mewtwo. He created the main artwork of Pokemon used in game guides and promotional items which captured the heart of a generation. On top of this, he is the main artist of Base Set, along with Mitsuhiro Arita. Sugimori’s autograph is very rare, as he seldom makes public appearances.

Mitsuhiro Arita: While Ken Sugimori’s card artwork throughout the years was recycled from other promotional items, Mitsuhiro Arita’s card artwork is unique to the cards and not recycled from previously published items. As the second main artist of Base Set, Mitsuhiro Arita added variety and detail to Pokemon which was previously not seen in Sugimori stock art. He is well known for creating the artwork for the most popular English Pokemon card: Base Set Charizard. Arita’s autograph is common since he still makes public appearances at this time.

Kagemaru Himeno: After Base Set came Jungle, for which there was one new illustrator added: Kagemaru Himeno. The artwork from Jungle looks very different from Base Set, as Himeno illustrated over 1/3 of the cards in Jungle. Himeno artwork added color and personality to Pokemon. Her early artwork is instantly recognizable as it portrays Pokemon in a vivid water-color style. She is notable for illustrating the first Eevee card as well as its holographic evolution cards.
Kagemaru Himeno is also famous for illustrating the infamous Birthday Pikachu card. To this day, she still illustrates Pokemon cards. Himeno has not made a public appearance since the 2006 World Championships, and as such her autograph is extremely rare.

Hironobu Yoshida: There are only three people listed on the Pokemon Yellow credits for Monster Design: Ken Sugimori, Atsuko Nishida, and Hironobu Yoshida. Entering Game Freak at the end of generation one, Hironobu Yoshida created the designs for several popular Pokemon including Celebi, Rayquaza, Deoxys, Darkrai, Dunsparce, and Wobbuffet (who surprisingly makes many appearances in the Pokemon anime with Team Rocket). Yoshida is notable as being the main artist of the Neo Destiny Shining Pokemon, along with Ken Sugimori. Basically, what Mazakazu Fukuda is to Gold Stars, Hironobu Yoshida, is to Shining Pokemon. He is also well known for other Neo card artworks such as Neo Genesis Lugia. His signature is very rare as he has not made a public appearance since the 2014 World Championships.

Atsuko Nishida: Right next to Ken Sugimori in designing Pokemon for the original Red and Green games is Atsuko Nishida. She is notable for creating the two most popular Pokemon ever: Charizard and Pikachu. Nishida illustrated the illustrious Pikachu Illustrator card, which is the most expensive Pokemon card. Her artwork is easily recognizable throughout the Wizards of the Coast Era of Pokemon Cards. Nishida to my knowledge has never made a public appearance, although there might be Nishida signed cards, I would say obtaining one is almost impossible at this time.

Keiji Kinebuchi: Along with Ken Sugimori and Mitsuhiro Arita, Keiji Kinebuchi formed the foundation of Pokemon cards and character of Base Set. Using his digital 3D artwork, he pioneered trainer cards and notably illustrated one holographic card in Base Set: Magneton. His work in common Base Set cards–such as Gastly and Magnemite–as well as the rest of the Wizards of the Coast sets up to Aquapolis captures the late 90’s era. Keiji Kinebuchi has never made a public appearance to my knowledge, and obtaining a Kinebuchi signature is almost impossible since he has not been involved in Pokemon since 2003.

Who do you think are the “Big 3” of Pokemon Autographs?

5 Likes

I want to reply to this; but this is rightfully fit for @swolepoke

2 Likes

Nice topic! :fountain_pen:

Its tough for me to name two other artists after Sugimoari, as I don’t think anyone is the same league. Outside of doing the original designs for Pokemon, he is in a higher position than the other artists. Its more known these days that he is contracted with Pokemon, which isn’t the case for any other artist. He even approves or denies some of the other artists work.

Also since he doesn’t do any public signings, it creates the perfect storm for his autograph. It would be like if Michael Jordan did only a handful of signings. It can’t be overstated how unique that combination is of top talent and rarity.

Anyway, moving passed the qualifier, Arita and Himeno would probably be the other other 2 choices. While Arita is the most frequent signer, his longevity and legacy is undeniable. I love Komiya, and would personally put that as my third choice, but Himeno is probably more broadly adored by collectors.

6 Likes

My personal three would be Tomokazu Komiya, Kouichi Ooyama and Yukiko Baba. Just my personal favorite illustrators in the TCG, although Ooyama has been a hugely important figure.

5 Likes

Ken Sugimori, Atsuko Nishida, and Kagemaru Himeno. Many of my favorite cards were illustrated by these three legendary artists.

3 Likes

Masakazu Fukuda IMO is one of the top 3 right there beside Arita and Sugimori - rayquaza artwork is GOAT

3 Likes

sugimori and nishida

3 Likes

Kouki Saitou and his sketches

1 Like

He died sometime around then so that doesn’t help either.

I think there’s a difference between “big 3 autographs” and “big 3 artists”. For instance, Arita would be probably in the top 3 most notable artists in the TCG but his autograph is the easiest to acquire. Whereas Nishida might not break my top 3 artists list but easily in the top 3 auto list.

For autographs specifically, I’d put Sugimori, Nishida and Himeno at the top based on their significance and difficulty to acquire

4 Likes

Straight to Wela Volcano, you heathen. :broken_heart:

2 Likes

Thank you for the clarification about Sugimori :slight_smile: . I agree he will always be #1 since he was there in the beginning of Game Freak with Satoshi Tajiri. I had no idea he approves and denies other artists’ work for Pokemon that is really cool. Anecdotally, he is the only Pokemon illustrator whose name I knew when I was a kid.

1 Like

Very astute observation differentiating autographs with artists. I agree with this assessment, and I also think your autograph list is more accurate than mine! Arita’s autograph is too ubiquitous to be considered in the Big 3 Autographs. Although he certainly is one of the most prolific artists in Pokemon.

1 Like

How does Sugimori TCG art compare to Arita though? The latter was already outshining him at the start.

Is there any card art by Sugimori that isn’t stock? I quickly went through WOTC era - and only Shining Gyarados, which granted is a GOAT card, but it’s just one.

Dark Charizord and Shining Magikarp are notable. He did a lot of trainers too.

Some random ones that come to mind

Strangely, he also did this rotom
PL3_EN_82

7 Likes

He also did that one trainer with the man and his Noctowl in it that doesn’t really look like his art style haha. I would say Sugimori, in stature, his art’s importance to the franchise, and rarity of signings would but him at a strong :muscle:t2: #2 for me.

Strong #1 would have to be Naoyo Kimura! She’s is my favorite artist in the TCG and she’s been in the game since 1998 if I’m not mistaken (Vending).
She has made no public appearances that I know of, info on her is minimal, she has no social media presence, I’m pretty sure there’s no photos of her anywhere either. Kimura is the for sure my holy grail signature. She has illustrated so many iconic artworks and continues to set after set since 1998. Incredible.

3rd would be Nishida for me. So important, so rare, wonderful lady with so many important contributions to the franchise!

2 Likes

Kimura and Nishida deserve so much more love. I feel that they are often overshadowed by Sugimori, Arita, and Saitou.

3 Likes

I mean they all deserve much respect but I totally agree with you!

1 Like

Sugimori has some of the best trainer artwork. Arita has the most immersive artwork for pokemon cards but I find Sugimori makes my favorite and most immersive trainer cards.

1 Like